Fire Extinguisher reminder
Walked into my house from my garage and noticed the fire extinguisher by the door was reading empty.  It as 5-6 years old.  Just a reminder to check yours as they can leak apparently.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(09-29-2018, 03:37 PM)Splinter Puller Wrote: Walked into my house from my garage and noticed the fire extinguisher by the door was reading empty.  It as 5-6 years old.  Just a reminder to check yours as they can leak apparently.

Good idea.    Also never test the non refillable homeowner type extinguishers as they will not seal properly again.   Roly
Need to have a couple refilled. Where can you get this done??
John T.
(09-29-2018, 11:56 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Need to have a couple refilled. Where can you get this done??

Ask you local fire department for local companies or they may also do it.    Look for fire safety companies as they inspect and refill extinguishers.  Roly
Another thing, remove the fire extinguisher from its mounting and turn it upside down a few times to loosen up the dry chemical. This is especially important for extinguishers mounted in vehicles. The dry chemical can pack down over time potentially making the extinguisher less effective when needed.
I always put the date on the fire extinguishers as well... crazy how fast the time goes and especially when it's something that just hangs on the wall. Same for smoke detectors and batteries that go in them, date on everything that has a limited life.
Good thread. Regarding modern fire extinguishers, should I hesitate leaving one exposed to sub-freezing temps, like in a garage or vehicle? I am in the upper midwest. TIA.
(10-08-2018, 09:33 AM)Cian Wrote: Good thread.  Regarding modern fire extinguishers, should I hesitate leaving one exposed to sub-freezing temps, like in a garage or vehicle?  I am in the upper midwest.  TIA.

We had the dry chemical ones on all our trucks in sub freezing temps.   The big thing with them being in vehicles is the packing of the powder from vibration.  As was stated turn them upside down and shake once in a while.  Look at all the electric and gas utility trucks and you will see them normally mounted outside.   Roly