Cloudy finish
I refinished the top of this table loml drug home.

Pretty sure it was the stain & poly mix carp on it, looked & felt like it was put on with a dirty broom.

Sanded with 400 grit to break the gloss and smooth it up, then steel wool. Blew it off with the air hose, tack rag wipedown.

Same routine I always use.

3 coats minwax wipe on poly, first coat looked good, second clouded, third made no difference.

What to do now?

Hard to see it in the cell phone pic...

Ed

Attached Files Image(s)

(09-29-2018, 07:57 PM)EdL Wrote: I refinished the top of this table loml drug home.

Pretty sure it was the stain & poly mix carp on it, looked & felt like it was put on with a dirty broom.

Sanded with 400 grit to break the gloss and smooth it up, then steel wool. Blew it off with the air hose, tack rag wipedown.

Same routine I always use.

3 coats minwax wipe on poly, first coat looked good, second clouded, third made no difference.

What to do now?

Hard to see it in the cell phone pic...

Ed
Looks like it has "bloomed" from high humidity and drying too fast...You might want to try blowing the finish with a hair dryer set on low...other than that, refinishing may be in the cards...
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Humidity was up, temps were low.....
Can fire up the furnace today and try another coat if the hairdryer doesn't work.

Ed
(09-30-2018, 10:42 AM)EdL Wrote: Humidity was up, temps were low.....
Can fire up the furnace today and try another coat if the hairdryer doesn't work.

Ed

Sounds like a plan
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Try this...

Use a hand held hair drier (not a heat gun) on a small area. Keep it moving so you don't cook the finish. Don't overheat it. See what happens.

Sometimes car manufactures put the protective adhesive film over the paint before it's really cured. The finish turns milky because it can't outgas. The milkyness is actually very tiny bubbles and/or moisture trapped in the finish. I use a heat lamp to get it out or a hair drier if it's just a small area.

Might be worth a shot.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Tried the hair dryer, didn't do anything.

We'll never know as the table is now in the house.....loml's patience runs thin.

With rain for the next 9 out of 10 days, I can't get the humidity much below 50% in the shop when it's 100% outside...

Thanks for the help.

Ed