Cutting board question
(10-01-2018, 04:14 PM)Wipedout Wrote: Heck out mtm wood. https://www.youtube.com/user/mtmwood

Love the video. Especially, the last few seconds..... 
Big Grin
Seems almost a shame cutting on one of boards they show.
It would be very hard to clean all of this nooks and crannies.
Smirk
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Any woods that should be avoided for a cutting board? Toxic?
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
Like others, I don't consider that a daily kitchen tool, but rather a party tray for cheese or bread or such.  Cool, yes, daily user, not for me.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(11-06-2018, 04:45 PM)Cecil Wrote: Like others, I don't consider that a daily kitchen tool, but rather a party tray for cheese or bread or such.  Cool, yes, daily user, not for me.

My daily user is quarter sawn white oak 12" * 12" * 1" . Have made a bunch of end grain .... gifts ....
Smile

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(11-06-2018, 11:41 AM)lift mechanic Wrote: Any woods that should be avoided for a cutting board? Toxic?

Toxicity isn't much of a problem, as seasoned woods don't typically impart anything to foods that come into contact with them (internet rumors notwithstanding). 

The bigger issue for cutting boards is the hardness of the wood.  Stick to harder hardwoods.  Hard maple and the harder exotics are excellent.  Even the softer hardwoods like walnut and cherry just won't last quite as long, at least on long grain cutting boards.  End-grain cutting boards tend to be more forgiving in this regard, though.

It's also best to avoid woods that are really ring porous, such as the oaks, because stuff does get stuck in the open grain.  Slower grown hickory and pecan can work well, though.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop