Can you spalt ash?
Friend of mine has an ash tree that died in his yard. Know you can bury a maple log for a period of time and get the spalting, can you do it with ash? And how long do you bury it?

Slav
"More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego..."   -Albert Einstein.
Never done it with ash, but I've had good success spalting pecan. A lot of woods will spalt under the right conditions, and I think ash is one of them. (Do a Google image search for spalted ash.)

If you cover the log for about three months in warm weather, it spalts beautifully. You can use wood chips/debris, tarps, or even just plastic. You're just trying to keep the moisture in the wood so that fungus can start to grow. I recommend a tarp or plastic over wood chips. At least in my area (way down south), bugs are a huge problem, and the tarp will keep them off somewhat. Wood chips just invite the bugs in. Given ash's susceptibility to bugs, I think I would not bury it in wood chips.

Up where you are, spalting is probably going to take longer as the weather is getting colder. Ideal spalting conditions are in the summer, so you want to fell the log in the spring or early summer, cover it up for a couple months, and then saw it up in the fall. I'm not sure how much spalting you're going to get up there over the winter, but keeping the log in a warm place might help a little. Could take until next July for spalting to really show up. Patience is key.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Evidently, it can be done. Don't they use "Ash spalt on roads and driveways?

OH NEVER MIND!
I made bowls from spalted ash a few years ago when I was living on the mainland. The spalting was green and black.
VH07V  
Never had Ash spalt, just goes punky.

Ed
Thanks everyone, will do more research and talk to friend and see what he want to do.

Slav
"More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego..."   -Albert Einstein.
I’ve not seen it personally, so I would rate it difficult to spalt at best.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
All timber can be spalted.

There is a lady in Oregon who is a professor which all of her degrees were in spalting.  Now the university sells the fungus to spalt and also fungus to change the color of the timber also.

If you have a few days I will try to look it up again and the web site to order it.  I am hoping in selling my roses I can get some of it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
[attachment=13569 Wrote:Arlin Eastman pid='7675509' dateline='1538937836']All timber can be spalted.

There is a lady in Oregon who is a professor which all of her degrees were in spalting.  Now the university sells the fungus to spalt and also fungus to change the color of the timber also.

If you have a few days I will try to look it up again and the web site to order it.  I am hoping in selling my roses I can get some of it.

https://www.northernspalting.com/ 

Forestry, IIRC, with dissertation on mycology.  Spent a few fun hours palavering with her in my booth at a couple shows.  Now, I see, she no longer considers herself female, though her appearance then certainly was.

I posted a photo of some spalted black ash on Photobucket, though I can't get there now.  I goes to mush rapidly.

Got in.  Interesting enough, but in no way as wonderfully varied as birch.

Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Politics 
(10-07-2018, 03:22 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: https://www.northernspalting.com/ 

Forestry, IIRC, with dissertation on mycology.  Spent a few fun hours palavering with her in my booth at a couple shows.  Now, I see, she no longer considers herself female, though her appearance then certainly was.

I posted a photo of some spalted black ash on Photobucket, though I can't get there now.  I goes to mush rapidly.

Got in.  Interesting enough, but in no way as wonderfully varied as birch.
After reading the article, I am not too sure what gender she/he identifies with but I got a chuckle out of this..

I’m nonbinary, and I know that’s a little ‘newfangled’ for some people. Visibility is important though, as is representation. To others in the queer community, you are valued and seen. To those who are confused about why labels are necessary, why all this bathroom business matters, or why talking about this kind of stuff is important, I invite you to spend some time reflecting on how left-handedness was viewed even 100 years ago, or redheadedness in the middle ages. Natural variability in biological systems is scary. I get it. But if fungi can have thousands of sexes, surely Homo sapiens can manage a few more than two genders.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset