Dust collector upgrade questions.
I have a Shop Fox DC (https://www.amazon.com/SHOP-FOX-W1727-Du...B001R23T44) and want to drop the filter bag and add a cartridge type. I'm looking at the Wynn 35A274NANO. I want to add a cyclone; maybe the Oneida Air Systems AXD002030A Molded Super Dust Deputy Cyclone.
Will this setup work? Any suggestions to make it better (other than starting from scratch)?

Thanks for any suggestions

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
What are the limitations of your current setup ? I.e. why are you looking to upgrade ?
A WynnEnv filter will take out particles considerably smaller than those removed by the current 2.5 micron bag, and should reduce the flow resistance -- at least before the filter fills with dust.  That's why you need something like a cyclone if you add a cartridge, to prevent the filter from encountering too much dust, and to make it easier to empty.  A dust deputy should work fine, at the cost of space and $.  The most compact approach would be to add a Thien baffle to the inside of your current DC, with the cartridge on top.  This is so cheap and easy, you can try it and if not satisfied you can always buy and add a separate cyclone.

I was partway into a Pentz-design cyclone build when Phil posted his design.  It took me maybe an hour to cut a baffle from 1/4" plywood to simply bolt inside my DC with angle iron.  It worked well enough that it delayed the completion of the cyclone system by several years.  A full sized cyclone does work better, but the difference is nowhere near the increased cost in money or time.
(10-07-2018, 08:05 AM)gboot Wrote: What are the limitations of your current setup ? I.e. why are you looking to upgrade ?

I am still getting fine dust in the air and it is a real pain to empty the plastic bag so often when it fills with the larger pieces.
Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to give the Thien baffle a try.

Rick
MAGA!!
I have a delta 760 and recently upgraded the bag filter with the Wynn nano. My bag was several years old and weighed a ton, went the cartridge route rather than trying to clean it or replace with same. I never noticed a problem with fine dust not being filtered, although I also run a ceiling mounted dust filtration system. I’m sure the cartridge will do a better job of trapping small particles.
My major problem was replacing the bottom bag when full. Too often and a messy job. I added a trash can seperator with a Thein baffle built in the top, a lot less expensive, easy to build and very effective. Now virtually nothing enters the bottom bag.
Rick, the biggest limitation of your intended system is the combination of a 1hp motor and small impellor fan. It simply is too small to suck the volume of air you need. Do some research into these factors. You will discover that the 800 CFM promised by Shop Fox is advertising, and you are probably getting closer to 200 CFN. Way too low.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
After reading Derek's response I'm looking at a bigger system.
What's the opinion on the Grizzly G0703 and Jet DC-1200VX-CK1, Shop Fox W1823?
I have a Grizzly G0766 lathe and am happy with it, should I expect good things for the DC?

Rick
MAGA!!
If you're upgrading, buy a real cyclone with some efficient .5 micron filters. I had severe sinus headaches and breathing issues after working in my shop and was looking at giving up woodworking. Instead, I got rid of my inefficient, ineffective, low volume dust collection system (a generous term for it), bit the bullet and bought a cyclone (a ClearVue) with some serious filters. It completely solved my problem. I can now work in the shop for hours on end, using all my machines, with no sinus or breathing issues, and my shop is clean. I have very little dust settle on my stuff. It was fairly expensive, but I consider it money well invested. It gave me my hobby back and I don't worry about my health anymore.
Gyro air by Harvey (now owner of Bridge City Tools) has an innovative dust collection system (700cfm; max 1100 cfm). Not cheap, but it is getting attention from people who need clean air in the shop. I have had no exp. with it, but saw in Woodworker's Journal its product details.

Simon