General purpose bandsaw blade
(10-09-2018, 03:27 PM)Alan S Wrote: If you plan to resaw, keep a blade specifically for that.  When it gets dull for that purpose, it can be demoted to ordinary ripping and curves; it should still seem sharp for that. 

My work fits with those above who suggested 1/2" 3TPI and 1/4" 6TPI as particularly useful.  One thing I learned from an article by Michael Fortune is that you do not need three teeth in the stock as is usually prescribed: for straight cuts or moderate curves even in 1/4" thick stock the 3 TPI blade is fine, if you don't cut too fast.

One approach is to get a variety of inexpensive steel blades.  If you use one more than the others, replace it when it wears out with a longer-lasting bimetal blade.  (The same approach might subsequently lead to carbide blades, but I've not got there yet.) My two most used blades are a 1/2" 3TPI Olson MVP (I did resharpen it, and it cuts better than new) and a 1/4" 6TPI bimetal blade of Lenox stock from Woodcraftbands.  I've found them to be a good, inexpensive source of blades. 

I got the .025" thick band of the Olson MVP rather than the .035" of the Lenox Diemaster because I was not sure my old Delta would properly tension the thicker blade.

I had the same experience with the Olson MVP.  Actually, the brand new 1/2" x 3 tpi blade I had wouldn't cut straight until I sharpened it.  Afterwards, it cut beautifully and lasted a very long time.  I would have sharpened it again had I not done something stupid and bent it. 

John