Router lifts- What do you have and what do you like?
(10-17-2018, 06:21 AM)handi Wrote: I have been using the Router Lift FX from Rockler in my Folding Router Table since 2012.

What I like best is the ease of use. Just insert and turn the handle to adjust. NO LOCK MECHANISM.
This might seem a negative, but this thing works so well that no lock is needed. Just set it and go. In 6 years of heavy use, I have never had the lift change heights during use.

I have used many other lifts, and the lock can be annoying. I have the Triton (no lift needed) in my Kreg Router table, and it is a fine router, but it requires both locking and unlocking under the table AND turning the router switch off to raise the router high enough to change the bit. Sort of defeats the whole purpose of changing bits above the table.
Buy an offset wrench and you don't have to raise it up all the way.

Here is what I bought.
Is the Triton's built in lift as nice as the $300 separate units?

I'll be honest, I wasn't thinking about a larger router when I bought my lift. I wish I were. Might sell my lift and get a Triton if its lift is that good.
Semper fi,
Brad

The Triton looks good, but you have to have access to the side of the router if that's important to you.  

I am up in the air if I want a router table or not right now.  It would either have to be a benchtop or built into my table saw extension table.
What's the access to the side of the router required for?

My table is part of my Incra set up for my table saw; it sits to the right of the right wing on my saw.
Semper fi,
Brad

I put a Triton in my new router table this past summer.

Access to the side of the router is needed to reach the switch on the machine; the safety interlock is integrated into the switch cover.  The safety interlock prevents accidental start-up of the router while you're switching out bits.  Also, the depth lock is accessible on the side of the router.

I bought the Triton since I only need basic raising, lowering, and above-the-table bit changes.  It does that well, and at a good price point compared to a machine like the PC 7518 plus a lift.  The new 7518s I've seen on Amazon and other retailers were priced well above the complete Triton, even for router body by itself.
I went looking for people that  used the triton in router tables.  On the ones I saw, the height adjustment is on the side of the router.  Is there a different model that can be adjusted through the table?
(10-27-2018, 04:42 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Is the Triton's built in lift as nice as the $300 separate units?

I'll be honest, I wasn't thinking about a larger router when I bought my lift.  I wish I were.  Might sell my lift and get a Triton if its lift is that good.

No its not.  But its a LOT less expensive.  Thats why I bought it years ago, and the fact its not as nice(nor quite as reliable a router by some accounts) is why I started the thread.  Mine is almost dead and parts are way too expensive.

I think its a great tool for someone if they don't have the funds or are getting started and need the funds for other things or maybe if the use it rarely.  I am in this for the long haul so I am as much as possible past buying stepping stone tools.

If I had to go back in time I would buy it again because it gave me a tool at a certain time in my woodworking that did the job, but I wont buy it again today.

JMO .02etc
Speaking of Triton parts, does anyone know where I can get brushes for the 3 1/4hp router?  Bought a floor model (super cheap) but they pulled one of the brushes which I didn't notice until I set up a table and tried to start it after it sat on my shelf for way too long.  I found one web site, but it's an unknown and over seas.  Thanks.
Let us not forget that the PC 890 ALSO includes a built-in raiser system.

A handle locks and unlocks the body of the router and turns the elevation screw. Requires a plate with two extra holes in the right place, but the system works VERY well.

I have a video on making your own handle that shows the system:

Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(10-31-2018, 01:01 PM)Bach1750 Wrote: Speaking of Triton parts, does anyone know where I can get brushes for the 3 1/4hp router?  Bought a floor model (super cheap) but they pulled one of the brushes which I didn't notice until I set up a table and tried to start it after it sat on my shelf for way too long.  I found one web site, but it's an unknown and over seas.  Thanks.

Try ereplacementparts.com
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020