Are there any 220V "big" routers on the market?
I'm contemplating putting a big boy router in my table and would like a lower-amp draw motor, but haven't been able to find any yet.  Are there *any* 220V routers out there?

A shaper isn't in the cards just yet.  That tool will have to wait a few more years.
Semper fi,
Brad

Google says there is not; except overseas.
Yeah, that's what I'm seeing, too.

Dangit.
Semper fi,
Brad

(10-09-2018, 09:16 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Yeah, that's what I'm seeing, too.

Dangit.

And the foreign ones run at a different frequency so I wouldn't go that route even if you could get one.  But you can run the  biggest routers here on a 12 gage line.  If your wiring isn't that heavy it wouldn't take much work to put in a new line.  

John
If you are going to be adding a router lift then there is little cost difference between a light duty shaper and a heavy duty router.

Grizzly shows a 1½ h.p. shaper for $675.00.

Rockler's router lift is $370.00 and is one of the cheaper ones out there.  

Add a 1½ router (Porter cable at $130.00) and you are up to $500.00.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I already have the router lift in my table.  I don't have the room for a shaper just yet.  It'll come, but not until after some work is done on my shop.

Once I finally do get around to adding a shaper (which will be after I add a drum or wide belt sander), it'll be an old, American made piece; I don't buy new when it comes to stationary tools.

(10-09-2018, 09:21 AM)jteneyck Wrote: And the foreign ones run at a different frequency so I wouldn't go that route even if you could get one.  But you can run the  biggest routers here on a 12 gage line.  If your wiring isn't that heavy it wouldn't take much work to put in a new line.  

John

My walls are bare studs still; I've added lines to the shop, including 110 and 220 circuits.  They're all 12AWG.
Semper fi,
Brad

(10-09-2018, 08:46 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I'm contemplating putting a big boy router in my table and would like a lower-amp draw motor, but haven't been able to find any yet.  Are there *any* 220V routers out there?

A shaper isn't in the cards just yet.  That tool will have to wait a few more years.
Try an overarm router. 220v 3 phase 15,000 rpm
This one take 1/2" shank bits. I bought one for $900. I wish I still had it.

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/d...x?id=25129

[Image: 25129-B.jpg]
I loves me some arn (all my big stuff is arn), but I can't justify a shaper *and* an overarm router. My router table (unless I move to a place where I can build a bigger shop) will always reside in my table saw's wing.
Semper fi,
Brad

(10-09-2018, 09:38 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I already have the router lift in my table.  I don't have the room for a shaper just yet.  It'll come, but not until after some work is done on my shop.

Once I finally do get around to adding a shaper (which will be after I add a drum or wide belt sander), it'll be an old, American made piece; I don't buy new when it comes to stationary tools.

My walls are bare studs still; I've added lines to the shop, including 110 and 220 circuits.  They're all 12AWG.

So what's the issue?

John
Look at the specs on the European routers as some (Makita) are rated for 220-240v and 50/60 cycle.  Others brands may be like this also.    If so change the plug and go.   Roly