Craftsman - Made in USA (again)
https://www.craftsman.com/whereitsmade

All my Craftsman tools are made in USA because they are all from the 70s, 60s era, not the Crapsman kind. Yours?

The only thing I don't like about the router is its bushing system. Power-wise, it can compete with the Festool.

Simon
I don't have any more Craftsman power tools but most of my mechanics tools are Craftsman, and all are USA. There was a time (45 years ago) if I needed a tool I looked it up in the Craftsman catalog and then went to Sears to get it. I probably haven't been in a Sears store for 25 years or so. I guess I never will again since all the ones within 50 miles+ of me have been closed.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
It's good to know they are coming back.  I have a set of their mechanics tools from the early 90's I think.  They are all USA made.  For anything recent, I have just made do with what I had or gone for the cheapest off shore option if I had to buy something.
(10-09-2018, 12:27 PM)stav Wrote: It's good to know they are coming back.  I have a set of their mechanics tools from the early 90's I think.  They are all USA made.  For anything recent, I have just made do with what I had or gone for the cheapest off shore option if I had to buy something.

Craftsman hand tools, now sold at Ace Hardware and other places, are now made in China.
(10-09-2018, 12:30 PM)castguy2003 Wrote: Craftsman hand tools, now sold at Ace Hardware and other places, are now made in China.

It will take time before they will get to the tools...their measuring tapes are now made in USA.

Simon
(10-09-2018, 11:32 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: https://www.craftsman.com/whereitsmade

Hmmm, I always read the fine print, so what does "made with Global Materials" mean?  Just final assembly here in the US?
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-09-2018, 01:11 PM)Admiral Wrote: Hmmm, I always read the fine print, so what does "made with Global Materials" mean?  Just final assembly here in the US?

Few things these days are made in a country with materials coming from within the same country. Even the made in China Apple phones have the major parts coming from Japan, etc. Craftsman is applying the Made in US label as long as it is in compliance with the labeling regulations. If it is just assembly, it will have to call it "Assembled in US," like the Delta saws.

Simon
It's a start, and maybe Craftsman might be the only thing from Sears that survives.  Sears did sell Craftsman to Black and Decker last year, so technically, they aren't part of Sears anymore.  I've noticed Lowe's is now starting to carry some Craftsman items as well.  When I was in California, Orchard Supply Hardware also carried Craftsman hand tools.  It would be nice to see the hand tool production return to the US.  Good tools last a long time.  In the Army we only used Snap-On, K&S, and to a much lesser extent - Craftsman.  I've been working in aerospace for 40 years, and we don't skimp on tools, and I can say with confidence quality tools cost more and they are worth it.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(10-09-2018, 11:32 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: https://www.craftsman.com/whereitsmade

All my Craftsman tools are made in USA because they are all from the 70s, 60s era, not the Crapsman kind. Yours?

The only thing I don't like about the router is its bushing system. Power-wise, it can compete with the Festool.

Simon

I still have my Craftsman mechanics tools that I bought new in 1958 - 1/2" socket set with ratchet, breaker bar, and speed handle; 1/4 " socket set with ratchet and breaker bar; open-end wrenches; several screwdrivers; and several cold chisels. The metal box rusted out so I discarded it. As I recall, I paid $29.95 for the set, payable at $5.00 per month on a charge card.

r2
(10-09-2018, 04:26 PM)lilrichard2 Wrote: As I recall, I paid $29.95 for the set, payable
r2

In today's money, that is about $260!

I don't think $260 can buy the same quality of tool like that now.

Simon