Delta Homecraft Lathe
I am going to look at a Delta Homecraft lathe. Is there anything I should be concerned with? This is a newby question. Do all headstocks come with a morse taper you just need to find out if it is a #1 or #2? The first thing I want to do with this is make pens with my daughter. I already have a mandrel with a MT#2 and want to make sure it will work or if I will need some kind of adapter. The seller was not sure about this so I was going to measure the taper to make sure which it is assume there is a MT on it.
(10-09-2018, 02:54 PM)Bope Wrote: I am going to look at a Delta Homecraft lathe. Is there anything I should be concerned with? This is a newby question. Do all headstocks come with a morse taper you just need to find out if it is a #1 or #2? The first thing I want to do with this is make pens with my daughter. I already have a mandrel with a MT#2 and want to make sure it will work or if I will need some kind of adapter. The seller was not sure about this so I was going to measure the taper to make sure which it is assume there is a MT on it.

Like this?

According to that vintage ad, its a MT2.  Just take your mandrel with you, if it fits its a number 2. 

Some junky lathes do not come with a morse tape on the headstock.  At least I've seen one.  It had drive center permanently mounted it in.

Looks like a serviceable lathe.  Lots of people turn on them.  Some folks step down the speed with pulleys.  I have no direct experience with it.
It looks a lot like that one. From the pictures the seller posted he has a small plate with what looks like a screw coming out of the center of it on the headstock. Since it looks like it is just stuck on the end of the threaded shaft I am assuming it has some kind of taper down the center of the shaft. That should knock out and I could try my mandrel correct?
Does it look like this? You want it to be complete & running without strange noises. Cannot tell if lathe is MT 1 or 2 from pictures.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/photoind...1387-A.jpg

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/photoind...5579-B.jpg
Bill
(10-09-2018, 08:49 PM)Bope Wrote: It looks a lot like that one. From the pictures the seller posted he has a small plate with what looks like a screw coming out of the center of it on the headstock. Since it looks like it is just stuck on the end of the threaded shaft I am assuming it has some kind of taper down the center of the shaft. That should knock out and I could try my mandrel correct?

Sorry, I don't know.

What year is it?  You can also ask over at www.owwm.org

They're kinda fussy with the rules, though.
Here are some pics. Not gloat worthy but I got the lathe and tools and the dovetail jig for $260. I do have the board the lathe was mounted to that has the motor mount. It also has a foot switch. Now I need to search for some kind of manual. I am assuming that mount on the headstock should knock out. I stuck a dowel rod in the end of the spindle and hit it a couple times with a hammer. No movement. The seller said he never had it out. I am thinking of spraying some PB Blaster in there and letting it soak. I also need to find out what kind of oil to put in the headstock. It sounds dry but spins well and no side-side movement.

Welcome to the vortex!
Think this as close to a manual will find.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/1724.pdf

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=1724

Good luck with it!
Bill
Thank you for the links. I did some more looking around last night and found similar documents. It does look like MT#2 in both the head and tail stocks. Unfortunately they are both stuck. There is a live center in the tail stock so no rush to get that out. I have to get a couple near finished projects out the door for some people then build a stand for the lathe. Then we will see how deep the vortex pulls me. It came with a set of craftsman HSS and a set of carbide tipped tools. I need to pull the variable speed grinder out of the barn and buy some good wheels for it. One other thing I need before pen making is a new tool rest. This lathe only has the 12" tool rest. I don't think that will fit between the head and tail stock with a pen in there. It has a 1" post so it shouldn't bee too hard to find a tool rest.
I have a twin to that one, or pretty close to it. Is it an 11" swing? "Swing" is the maximum clearance between the headstock spindle and the lathe bed. Meaure from the bed of the lathe to the center of that screw in the headstock. If it measaures 5 1/2 inches, you have an 11" swing. Havta check in my shop later to see what the model number is. I may have a manual for it. It may be a Delta Model 110.
That "thing" with the screw in it used to hold stock while turning. It's called a screw chuck. Drill a small hole in your turning stock, screw it on to the screw chuck, tighten it down with the tail stock.
That is only one of many ways to secure turning stock to the lathe. Spur center, various adjustable chucks, etc.
I have used various motors with Model 110. Whatever works. The motor you have may just need some TLC.
Morse taper on both the head stock and tail stock is most likely Nr. 2.
That screw chuck is on a (most likely) Nr. 2 Morse taper and is made to be removed. A wooden dowel rod would most likely split before it did any good. Need metal. A cheapie knock out rod is a piece of all-tread. Don't be afraid to hit it hard. Might, as you suggested, use some Blaster or whatever to try to loosen it up.
In the picture on the table onto which the lathe is mounted, you have what looks like about a 3' faceplate, a live tailstock center, several dead taillstock centers. Appears you may have another live tailstockcenter mounted in the tailstock. On the bed of the lathe is a four-jaw adjustable chuck - not the best for wood, but will work.

Can't tell from your signature where you live. If you are close enough, you can have my Model 110. Tailstock is broken, no motor. Steel stand goes with it.

GM, Maker of Peethticks.
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.