Show me your Hammers
Older Machinery's Handbooks have a chart on hammer force by a "skilled' machinest. Gives the blow force by hammer weight.

Very eye opening read.

You'll understand why it hurts so bad when your thumb is in the way.......

Ed
Hammering a Nail

Tommy saw a nail today.
He hit it with a hammer.
Everyone for miles around
heard him shriek and yammer.

Tommy saw a nail today.
And now he knows it’s dumb
to hammer on a nail that’s
connected to your thumb.

--Kenn Nesbitt
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(10-21-2018, 08:46 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: Those Snap On hammers are nice. I have a few of those. The one in the middle looks like the slimline model. I have the Stanley version of this and it’s my favorite deadblow. The overmolded handles on those hammers are very nice.

Those are the replacement hammers they gave me when my older deadblows, (the ones I had since dirt was invented) fell completely apart.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(10-22-2018, 09:11 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Those are the replacement hammers they gave me when my older deadblows, (the ones I had since dirt was invented) fell completely apart.
I have had the same experience with dead blows.....That's why I like a good lead hammer better..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(10-22-2018, 09:18 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: .........................
I have had the same experience with dead blows.....That's why I like a good lead hammer better..

They've changed the type of material on these. These are somewhat softer in texture.
My older ones that I bought in the 70's, just seemed to dry up and got hard, splitting apart and crumbling.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(10-22-2018, 09:51 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: They've changed the type of material on these. These are somewhat softer in texture.
My older ones that I bought in the 70's, just seemed to dry up and got hard, splitting apart and crumbling.
I have a couple sizes of those heavy cast iron/rawhide hammers {made by Chicago Rawhide IIRC} and they can deliver a lot of "smack" with very little rebound and don't cause any damage to what is being struck. They were pretty common in the olden days prior to the advent of the plastic dead blows.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(10-21-2018, 08:46 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: Those Snap On hammers are nice. I have a few of those. The one in the middle looks like the slimline model. I have the Stanley version of this and it’s my favorite deadblow. The overmolded handles on those hammers are very nice.

The two red dead blows in my picture are made from a company called Trusty Cook.  They are an OEM for a few tool companies.  I believe they have past and/or present made some hammers for Snap On.  Mine do not have the fancy over molding.  I ordered them and a couple of other hammers from The Hammer Source (wasn't a great ordering experience, for me at least).

Most of the hammers I have, I find during the work I do now.  Never came across any dead blows, so I had to break down and buy them.  I used to just use the rubber mallets, but during a job, I borrowed the boss' dead blow.  Now I need to get one of the sledge hammer dead blows.

-David
Here's some of the more nuanced hammers I have; all have their uses; the round steel mallet is originally for linoleum installation, but it comes in handy for chiseling, etc.  Hammers are under appreciated, IMHO......

[Image: 30565616267_5fae8ff216_b.jpg]
[Image: 31633461468_fd6a0d9510_b.jpg]
[Image: 30565610037_e98cc32fe6_b.jpg]

[Image: 45455585222_efe2d3bd99_b.jpg]
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Hammers may be unappreciated in some circles, but this thread
is proof positive they are appreciated here!!
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(10-22-2018, 09:37 PM)MarkSingleton Wrote: Hammers may be unappreciated in some circles, but this thread
is proof positive they are appreciated here!!
I have a beautiful little ball pein hammer...both the handle and the head are finely made and it is engraved "From George to Eliza, class of 1903"..that alone makes it special to me.

Get off my lawn !
Upset