I bought a mortiser-now what?
I'm afraid I might become of of those "tool collectors" instead of a woodworker, but the online auction I frequent keeps giving these things away. In this case it was a Powermatic 701 on a stand I got for $142. Printed off a manual, cleaned it up and adjusted the gibs, and made sure it runs tonight. No bits and only came with the 5/8" chisel bushing so I have questions:

Is there any trick to adjusting the gibs? I followed the manual and it goes up and down fairly easy manually but the compression cylinder doesn't return it to the up position by itself. Should it? I had to take it off to clean the gears and it is still plenty strong but it won't lift the head by itself.

I've been looking at some bits and I sort of assumed that I would need bits for a 5/8" bushing but none of the sets I've looked say anything about whether they are for a 5/8" or a 3/4" bushing. I need some help on this issue as well as any suggestions for a good "beginner" set of bits. Are the smaller bits ever used?

Any advise of use would be appreciated. I have a mission style recliner in mind as soon as I can restock my cherry.

Papa Jim
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
(10-09-2018, 08:00 PM)Papa Jim Wrote: I'm afraid I might become of of those "tool collectors" instead of a woodworker, but the online auction I frequent keeps giving these things away. In this case it was a Powermatic 701 on a stand I got for $142. Printed off a manual, cleaned it up and adjusted the gibs, and made sure it runs tonight. No bits and only came with the 5/8" chisel bushing so I have questions:

Is there any trick to adjusting the gibs? I followed the manual and it goes up and down fairly easy manually but the compression cylinder doesn't return it to the up position by itself. Should it? I had to take it off to clean the gears and it is still plenty strong but it won't lift the head by itself.

I've been looking at some bits and I sort of assumed that I would need bits for a 5/8" bushing but none of the sets I've looked say anything about whether they are for a 5/8" or a 3/4" bushing. I need some help on this issue as well as any suggestions for a good "beginner" set of bits. Are the smaller bits ever used?

Any advise of use would be appreciated. I have a mission style recliner in mind as soon as I can restock my cherry.

Papa Jim

Sounds like you found a good deal on this mortiser. As for bits, they are all over the internet (just checked Amazon). Here are some that are offered by our friends at Lee Valley. Nice folks who sell quality products. Sorry, can't help with the other particulars.

Doug
(10-09-2018, 08:00 PM)Papa Jim Wrote: I'm afraid I might become of of those "tool collectors" instead of a woodworker, but the online auction I frequent keeps giving these things away. In this case it was a Powermatic 701 on a stand I got for $142.

[Image: cKQBPZR.jpg]
(10-09-2018, 08:00 PM)Papa Jim Wrote: ...I followed the manual and it goes up and down fairly easy manually but the compression cylinder doesn't return it to the up position by itself. Should it? I had to take it off to clean the gears and it is still plenty strong but it won't lift the head by itself...

I don't think mine does either.
[attachment=13610 Wrote:Cian pid='7676302' dateline='1539146935']
[Image: cKQBPZR.jpg]

Attached Files Image(s)

(10-09-2018, 11:34 PM)Tapper Wrote: Sounds like you found a good deal on this mortiser. As for bits, they are all over the internet (just checked Amazon). Here are some that are offered by our friends at Lee Valley. Nice folks who sell quality products. Sorry, can't help with the other particulars.

Doug

Thanks Doug. Lee Valley does specify bushing diameter for all their bits. Think I'll shop around for a 3/4" bushing.

Papa Jim
Jim,

I have the Jet floor standing mortiser, and before that I had a Delta bench top machine. The gas springs on neither machine raise the head by themselves. I think they are intended to be an assist rather than an independent hear raiser. The head is pretty heavy, but it is easy to raise with the handle. That probably would not be the case without the gas spring assist. I have several sets of chisel/bit combinations. The ones from Lee Valley are very good. I also like the Fisch sets. Both are a little speedy, but they seem to last longer than the cheaper ones. The bits are fairly fragile, especially in the smaller sizes; and I've broken a couple on the cheaper sets. You'll probably want to order a couple of diamond sharpening cones for the chisels. Lee Valley and Rockler both carry them. Also, be sure to polish the four outside surfaces of the chisels. That makes a lot of difference in the the way they cut and the ease of extracting them from the workpiece.

Good luck. You'll enjoy your new machine.

Hank
(10-10-2018, 09:18 AM)Papa Jim Wrote: Thanks Doug. Lee Valley does specify bushing diameter for all their bits. Think I'll shop around for a 3/4" bushing.

Papa Jim

First, the gas assist shock is pretty much an assist vs a raise it by itself.   It may not be as good as it was when new but I would not replace it until it is difficult to raise.

Don't buy cheap bits, even if that means just buying what you need when you need it vs an entire set.  The premium ones Lee Valley sales are excellent and honestly good hollow chisel bits are not easy to find, the VAST majority of ones being sold are pretty poor.

Get the cone sharpeners and find a video/instruction on how to tune up the chisels and do it before putting them to use.  That means the inside/outside of the chisel and the auger points.

In general, the small sizes get the most use, usually the 1/4-1/2".   I would not buy the big bushing unless you plan to cut mortises for tenons in 2"+ stock.
OK...so what's the auction site???  Sounds like a goo site!  Good find.
Big Grin
On my Jet, the cylinder is an assist lift. Keep the head shaft clean and oiled, and it should raise easily manually
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020