Ryobi router rewire?
Has anyone rewired a Ryobi 1700 router to bypass the speed control, etc?
Mine doesn't turn on, after being intermittent for a while.
Switch is good. Brushes are like new.
The router has very little use.
Thanks for any help.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I removed the speed control, and figured out where to connect the power wires, and all is well. Albeit, hi rpm. Just have to hunt down an external, speed controller, that's hiding in the shop, to slow it down when needed.
This was the 5th or 6th repair this hardly used router has needed. 1st. non warranty one, and 1st. electrical one.
I almost never buy new tools like this one, and it seems like the new ones are the ones that crap out.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(10-12-2018, 03:48 PM)Pirate Wrote: I removed the speed control, and figured out where to connect the power wires, and all is well. Albeit, hi rpm. Just have to hunt down an external, speed controller, that's hiding in the shop, to slow it down when needed.
This was the 5th or 6th repair this hardly used router has needed. 1st. non warranty one, and 1st. electrical one.
I almost never buy new tools like this one, and it seems like the new ones are the ones that crap out.
In my many years using all sorts of routers, speed controllers tend to fail early and often.
If you can find a source, the swap is easy.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(10-12-2018, 03:48 PM)Pirate Wrote: I removed the speed control, and figured out where to connect the power wires, and all is well. Albeit, hi rpm. Just have to hunt down an external, speed controller, that's hiding in the shop, to slow it down when needed.

Did you give the failed speed control a visual once over? Some Porter-Cable controls failed due to substandard capacitors, similar to what P.C. motherboards went through. If it was a capacitor problem, the fix cost less than a buck. I have a P-C 8529 with a speed control that died and did a similar trick, bypassed (removed) the speed control and got an external box. Of course I kept the failed speed control for a few months and finally tossed it, a few weeks before reading about the capacitor fix
Mad . I guess the silver lining to that cloud is that speed controller will also work on a shop vac and probably anything with a universal motor.