Norm
(10-12-2018, 12:31 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Sort of in the same vein as "unsafe", I loved Norm's shows, along with Roy, until I realized Norm never setup his tools, never had a failure, and if you look, never had an overcut of his tablesaw dado cuts--even with no more than a guide to keep the wood sort of square. He worked in a big room, stepped to a new [EXPENSIVE] tool and pushed the start button to complete an operation in less than 15 seconds, even if there were 20 cuts. 

The show soured me to him, and stationary tools. After watching part of a second show last night, I had a powerful case of deja vu. His show is as fictional as watching the Trilogy by Tolkien. At least Roy breaks a sweat.

The editing skill was something as they could always cramp so much stuff into a half-an-hour show. Watching his episodes now made me realize how much I have grown as a woodworker over the years. I still find his the best in terms of presentation and clarity.

Simon
(10-11-2018, 01:41 PM)Admiral Wrote: I don't recall seeing that anyone mentioned this, but the NYW website is in the process of loading all 21 seasons of episodes up for viewing here:

https://www.newyankee.com/watch/

This is great!  Much better than the prior format wherein you were restricted to only one show per week.
How can you not like Norm? Name someone better who had a TV show? Their may be better woodworkers, but what about the show. Nobody is perfect, I certainly can overlook some safety violations if the rest of the content is good. I hate how everyone "nitpicks" everything on tv. I've never thought of woodworking as a perfect (art, hobby, etc). I know I've never made a perfect piece and I never will. I may or may not have violated some safety rules, but I still enjoy making saw dust.
(10-12-2018, 01:05 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: The editing skill was something as they could always cramp so much stuff into a half-an-hour show. Watching his episodes now made me realize how much I have grown as a woodworker over the years. I still find his the best in terms of presentation and clarity.

Simon

Yes, it is amazing how well the show was produced. Norm made it clear that anyone can learn to do this. All you really had to do was have faith and provide effort.
Ag
(10-12-2018, 07:48 PM)AgGEM Wrote: Yes, it is amazing how well the show was produced. Norm made it clear that anyone can learn to do this. All you really had to do was have faith and provide effort.
Ag
Yup, I think Russell Morash had as much to do with the success of New Yankee Workshop (as well as This Old House and other PBS DIY shows) as Norm.
I saw another NYW episode (Workbench). At 17:15, Norm was seen cutting a dado pushing the small workpiece with nothing but his hands, with one of his hand riding right on top of the workpiece. That was a 100% unsafe maneuver.

No one should ever try that. I know of a case where a woodworker ran his palm over the dado blade when the wood he was pushing kicked back on him.

Never ever place your hand on top of a workpiece right above where the dado cutter is spinning. If the workpiece breaks apart for whatever reasons (catching a knot, etc.) while it is passing through the dado cutter....
Dead

Simon
I don't think there is anyone in Norm's league in terms of the number of people he brought to woodworking.
(10-12-2018, 12:31 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Sort of in the same vein as "unsafe", I loved Norm's shows, along with Roy, until I realized Norm never setup his tools, never had a failure, and if you look, never had an overcut of his tablesaw dado cuts--even with no more than a guide to keep the wood sort of square. He worked in a big room, stepped to a new [EXPENSIVE] tool and pushed the start button to complete an operation in less than 15 seconds, even if there were 20 cuts. 

The show soured me to him, and stationary tools. After watching part of a second show last night, I had a powerful case of deja vu. His show is as fictional as watching the Trilogy by Tolkien. At least Roy breaks a sweat.

And here you have folks, a perfect example of "seeing the glass half empty" rather than half full.

Doug
(10-13-2018, 10:46 AM)Alan S Wrote: I don't think there is anyone in Norm's league in terms of the number of people he brought to woodworking.

He sure did energize a generation or two of people to become active in woodworking. I think Paul Sellers's free videos have also mobilized a large group of people who might not want to spend a lot of money on new and pricey handplanes to take up woodworking with their hands.

I enjoy the new Rough Cut (with Fine Woodworking), and no doubt the the level of craftsmanship is higher there, but Norm's approachable and down-to-earth style of presentation remains the best that no other craft presenters (on TV or youtube, etc.) can match. Even his voice sounds reassuring to someone who may have never used a power tool.

Simon
(10-14-2018, 11:11 AM)Tapper Wrote: And here you have folks, a perfect example of "seeing the glass half empty" rather than half full.

Doug

You are too generous. 

Show us how Norm does it. Or, did you finally grow up ... half way?