Dewalt 618 Router?
(10-13-2018, 08:18 AM)darita Wrote: Does anyone know if Dewalt has fixed the issue?  Are they aware of it?

No one knows if they've fixed it because DeWalt refuses to acknowledge it. You bet they know about it and it's not a matter of if, but when the magnet that controls the variable speed will crack or shatter on you. If you're lucky, it will only crack and your variable speed router will become a permanent single speed. If you're unlucky (like me, in the middle of routing dovetails) the magnet will break into pieces, fall into the armature and instantly become a paperweight.  I know you're looking for affirmation to buy the 618, and outside of the variable speed issue, it's a great router.  My advice, if you're set on this unit, buy the DeWalt 616 single speed. It's the speed you'd use for dovetails anyway. Or get the Bosch.  Good luck.
I have a couple of the DeWalt 618's.  I've replaced the VS magnet in one of them.  It wouldn't run at all.  I bought parts for 2 when the first one went out.  I haven't had to do the 2nd one yet.  They don't get a lot of use.  I really like the router, but it's a little like having the Sword of Damocles hanging over me.  I know it's only a matter of time, but don't know when or where.  Frankly, I would suggest you pass on the 618 and look at something else.  There are plenty of other worthy candidates.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

After my Dewalt 618 failed the 2nd time in a few months, I took it back and replaced it with a Bosch 1617 kit - both the fixed and plunge bases come with it. Liked it so well, I've since bought 1 more kit and then a fixed base only router that was a steal of a deal. You do need to buy an adapter to use the standard PC guides, but they have been very reliable routers. I leave 1 with a fixed base permanently set up for my Leigh jig.
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
Well, I did go out and get one, so I'm hoping it will be OK.  I really like the low center of gravity, power and the fact that you can get the bits mounted far into the collet, still clearing the guide bushing.  I have a 1617 Bosch and like it, however it sits higher and the bits can't be mounted as deep into the collet, so I get more chatter, even when I go slow.  If not for that, Id go Bosch for sure.
(10-19-2018, 05:14 PM)darita Wrote: Well, I did go out and get one, so I'm hoping it will be OK.  I really like the low center of gravity, power and the fact that you can get the bits mounted far into the collet, still clearing the guide bushing.  I have a 1617 Bosch and like it, however it sits higher and the bits can't be mounted as deep into the collet, so I get more chatter, even when I go slow.  If not for that, Id go Bosch for sure.

If you are getting chatter, I'd suggest the problem lies someplace other than how deep the bit fits in the collet.... I've never had that issue with any of the 3 - 1617's that I have used...

Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
Cam you tell us more why you cant mount the bits properly? Do you need to buy a new collet for it?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.