Drop in sink with granite countertop
No garbage disposer? But that’s like on all of the display models and the DDA would not be happy having to do without one.
Do you say that for weight reasons that might pull the sink away from the underside and break the seal?
If so what about installing support in the cabinet to hold the weight of the disposer?
Ray
That video looks pretty good. I was wondering about how these are secured and I haven’t taken time to look into that.
I won’t be installing the counter or the sink (if undermount). I’m making the cabinets and doing everything else but the counter. My kitchen corner is too far out of square and I’d rather pay to pass on the risk of getting that right to someone else. If we go with an undermount sink then I want to pay to pass on the risk of the install failing (within whatever the warranty period might be).
But I can ask about how they install it and see if they do something like this. Since I’m making the cabinets I can incorporate this plywood install if they prefer it.
Ray
(10-14-2018, 11:03 AM)DogwoodTales Wrote: Can a drop in sink be installed with a granite countertop?
What concerns should I look out for if this is a viable option?
Thanks

Or this method:

https://www.braxton-bragg.com/index.cfm/...l/bc/9145/
Can you put a drop in sink in granite?  I would say there is no reason you coupldn't, but the real question is why would you want to.  I understand the cost savings of reusing an existing drop in, but the whole point of any solid surface countertop is to allow for an undermounted sink.  I suspect the salesperson really meant that no one ever does it rather than it cannot be done.  One of the main requirements when we built our house was to have undermounted sinks.  It is SO much easier to wipe the counters off when you don't have to lift everything over the lip of the drop in sink.  You also avoid having to redo the caulk around the drop-in every couple years because it gets stained and starts looking gross.  We do have a garbage disposal on ours and have never had any problems with it coming loose or breaking the seal.  Go with the undermounted sink and you will never regret it.  Between the kitchen, kitchenette, and the bathrooms we have 8 undermounted sinks in 10+ years and we have had zero issues.  I would not change a thing if I had it to do over again.

I guess I should note that our countertops and sinks were installed professionally by a reputable installer who has been in business for many years.
That’s reassuring.
Yeah I’m having this one done by a local company with a long standing reputation.
In my case that’s Keidel here in Cincinnati.
Actually they use a subcontractor I think is KBR.
We would be just fine with a drop in, but there is the perceived value we need to consider should we ever sell this house so we’ll bite it an get the undermount.
Ray
(10-14-2018, 02:52 PM)KC Wrote: I'll be the first (and maybe only one) to disagree.  Whoever installed my undermount did a sloppy job that irritates me everyday.  I see no advantage whatever to an undermount, and at least one big one to a drop in... it's easier to replace if you need/want do.

You've complained about your POS, cookie cutter, McMansion for 10 years. Every single issue has been because of poor workmanship or crappy materials.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(10-15-2018, 02:00 PM)CLETUS Wrote: You've complained about your POS, cookie cutter, McMansion for 10 years. Every single issue has been because of poor workmanship or crappy materials.

Actually, it's not cookie cutter, and not a McMansion, and it's only been 7 years.    And to be fair, I have said some nice things about at least one of the finish carpenters for the return detail under the window sills.  Not sure I've bitched about the materials, but you're absolutely right... I'm completely underwhelmed by the workmanship on almost every level.  And hey... thanks for noticing!  
Sarcasm
There is value in an undermount. Way easier to clean around. It has a sleeker look. At resale a drop in screams "cheap". Bob gets great value in drop in, but he is DIY for rental units.

Undermounts won't leak/separate at the seam if installed properly. My former stainless sink was placed on a plywood deck prior to granite installation. It ain't moving.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(10-16-2018, 07:55 AM)Mr_Mike Wrote: There is value in an undermount. Way easier to clean around.  It has a sleeker look. At resale a drop in screams "cheap".  Bob gets great value in drop in, but he is DIY for rental units.

Undermounts won't leak/separate at the seam if installed properly.  My former stainless sink was placed on a plywood deck prior to granite installation. It ain't moving.

I try to do undermount more often than not but if I have a quality top mount sink sitting on a shelf for a kitchen I have gone that way.  I just pulled out 2 high end toto sinks in a vanity and replaced them with undermount when I changed out to granite counters.  Undermount looks better and makes cleaning counters much easier
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

We'd rather have a cast iron sink than a plastic/fiberglass sink.
Cast sinks aren't cheap
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020