Natural gas refrigerator - comments, problems, drawbacks?
Hi All - we just came through a 2-day power outage in Piedmont, North Carolina from tropical storm Michael - had plenty of lights, batteries, chargers, battery-radio to keep our iPads working - loss the internet after about 6 hrs when my APC UPS ran out - decided to purchase the Xantrex unit shown below which will keep our modem/router up for 5-6 days according to their runtime specs.

We have 2 electric fridges, larger one in the kitchen & smaller 18 cu ft one in basement (latter w/ freezer + fridge) - we tossed about $150 in meat, chicken, fish, etc. - the basement fridge is probably 30 years old and could be replaced - I was looking at natural gas units but have little knowledge concerning their reliability, dangers (assume need to be vented like a hot water heater), and potential drawbacks?  These multiple day outages are not common here (more like hours) so I've not looked closely into a 'whole house' natural gas generator, but we've been in this house for 40+ years and if desired would likely have done that years ago.

SO, worth looking into a natural gas fridge to keep our frozen items and refrigerated meats cold if we lose power for more than a day?  Thanks for any comments.  Dave
Smile

Piedmont North Carolina
You would be better served with a small portable generator. You say your need is rare. Why make an unusual investment for a rare event.

Fridge/freezers do not need power 24/7 to keep stuff cold. Just a few hours a day is sufficient. You could use a 2k or 3k watt generator and drop cords to meet your needs. Swap cords around over the course of the day if need be. I have two Honda EU2000 generators with extended run kits for such a possibility. However, they have never been used for that purpose. We have been fortunate.

If you have a small generator, you also have the ability to meet other power-out energy needs too.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(10-14-2018, 02:03 PM)giradman Wrote: Hi All - we just came through a 2-day power outage in Piedmont, North Carolina from tropical storm Michael - had plenty of lights, batteries, chargers, battery-radio to keep our iPads working - loss the internet after about 6 hrs when my APC UPS ran out - decided to purchase the Xantrex unit shown below which will keep our modem/router up for 5-6 days according to their runtime specs.

We have 2 electric fridges, larger one in the kitchen & smaller 18 cu ft one in basement (latter w/ freezer + fridge) - we tossed about $150 in meat, chicken, fish, etc. - the basement fridge is probably 30 years old and could be replaced - I was looking at natural gas units but have little knowledge concerning their reliability, dangers (assume need to be vented like a hot water heater), and potential drawbacks?  These multiple day outages are not common here (more like hours) so I've not looked closely into a 'whole house' natural gas generator, but we've been in this house for 40+ years and if desired would likely have done that years ago.

SO, worth looking into a natural gas fridge to keep our frozen items and refrigerated meats cold if we lose power for more than a day?  Thanks for any comments.  Dave
Smile

I have a $350 generator that I keep around to power the fridge and deep freezers if there is a longer outage.  I replace the gas and run it awhile twice a year.  I could easily sell it if it was no longer needed unlike a gas refrigerator
WoodNET... the new safespace
(10-14-2018, 02:23 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: You would be better served with a small portable generator. 

If you have a small generator, you also have the ability to meet other power-out energy needs too.

(10-14-2018, 03:35 PM)Splinter Puller Wrote: I have a $350 generator that I keep around to power the fridge and deep freezers if there is a longer outage.  I replace the gas and run it awhile twice a year.  I could easily sell it if it was no longer needed unlike a gas refrigerator

What they said.  A small portable, like a 2kW Honda inverter generator or one of the less expensive suitcase units, would be all you need to run a fridge/freezer and some communication stuff like modem and computer.  

But do be careful about spending $1000 to save $150 in food every once in a rare while.  If there are other reasons for the need, that's hard to put a price on, and even just the convenience can make it worth it.  But I would go small and cheap for your stated infrequent and short-duration outages and relatively small loads.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(10-14-2018, 04:37 PM)TDKPE Wrote: What they said.  A small portable, like a 2kW Honda inverter generator or one of the less expensive suitcase units, would be all you need to run a fridge/freezer and some communication stuff like modem and computer.  

But do be careful about spending $1000 to save $150 in food every once in a rare while.  If there are other reasons for the need, that's hard to put a price on, and even just the convenience can make it worth it.  But I would go small and cheap for your stated infrequent and short-duration outages and relatively small loads.

Thanks Guys for the excellent comments - first, I agree that a 'minimum' investment would be my choice - losing power for more than several days is an every 2 year or so event (of course, this could worsen w/ the way these storms are progressing w/ 'global warming'?).

Second, 'gasoline' is not in my plan - retired 6 years ago, now in my early 70s, have a good yard service, and got rid of all of my gasoline machines - don't want it in my house nor do I want to deal w/ the machines that use it, sorry - SO, if I want a 'small' generator to run my fridges and a few other minor items, then will have to be w/ propane or natural gas which I have in the house.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
To address the original question, my experience with propane refrigerators has been whilst fishing in northern Quebec on the Gouin reservoir. The only energy source was propane, so stove for cooking and the frig. It actually worked really well, more than enough to keep the beer cold; freezer would make ice so we could take the beer out in the boats when fishing, and it kept our chicken and steaks frozen for a week until the float plane picked us up. Had a pilot light which you had to watch carefully as it would go out, but that might just have been the design and the fact that it was next to the door which was drafty.

On keeping food frozen in regular fridges when the power is out, in NJ we had two significant outages from TS Irene, followed next year by hurricane Sandy. I lost all with Irene, but learned, and when the power was out for Sandy, I moved everything into my chest freezer, and put in 4 layers of bubblewrap for insulation, and things were kept frozen for 5 days, when my brother's power came on and we moved stuff over to his house. I was out 12 days with Irene, 15 with Sandy. The following summer I got a whole house natural gas generator......
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-15-2018, 07:14 AM)Admiral Wrote: To address the original question, my experience with propane refrigerators has been whilst fishing in northern Quebec on the Gouin reservoir.  The only energy source was propane, so stove for cooking and the frig.  It actually worked really well.................

On keeping food frozen in regular fridges when the power is out, in NJ we had two significant outages from TS Irene, followed next year by hurricane Sandy.  I lost all with Irene, but learned, and when the power was out for Sandy, I moved everything into my chest freezer, and put in 4 layers of bubblewrap for insulation, and things were kept frozen for 5 days, when my brother's power came on and we moved stuff over to his house.  I was out 12 days with Irene, 15 with Sandy.  The following summer I got a whole house natural gas generator......

Hi Admiral - been to Quebec several times but mainly along the St. Lawrence and the City - your experience sounded like a lot of fun.

BOY, 12 + 15 days outage in those two events - I'm having our HVAC/Electrical Service Company give me some information on their 'whole house' natural gas generators - curious, what brand/model you bought and possibly others you reviewed just to get me started in gathering some data.  Thanks for any comments.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina