Bandsaw for cutting thinner metal
Anthony, there are a wide variety of stands from DIY to nice custom made ones.  https://www.google.com/search?q=portaban...39&bih=895  

You are right, there is a limit to how wide a piece it will cut.  I went this route since most of the stuff I cut is fairly small.  For the larger pieces, I used to have a Rage Evolution Circular Saw, but didn't use it enough to justify the space it took up, so I sold it and bought a Diamond tipped metal cutting blade for a large angle grinder.   For me, the portable bandsaw does the job beautifully, and best of all goes in its case and out of the way when not in use.  Many of the stands have a quick release type feature so you can take it on and off without tools.  If you are cutting larger metal, this approach may not work for you.
(10-17-2018, 05:58 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Anthony, there are a wide variety of stands from DIY to nice custom made ones.  https://www.google.com/search?q=portaban...39&bih=895  

You are right, there is a limit to how wide a piece it will cut.  I went this route since most of the stuff I cut is fairly small.  For the larger pieces, I used to have a Rage Evolution Circular Saw, but didn't use it enough to justify the space it took up, so I sold it and bought a Diamond tipped metal cutting blade for a large angle grinder.   For me, the portable bandsaw does the job beautifully, and best of all goes in its case and out of the way when not in use.  Many of the stands have a quick release type feature so you can take it on and off without tools.  If you are cutting larger metal, this approach may not work for you.

Interesting options. If I go this route I may end up with more than one stand (one bandsaw style and one chop saw style). I need to thoroughly review my depth of cut needs.
(10-17-2018, 06:30 AM)Anthony W Wrote: Interesting options. If I go this route I may end up with more than one stand (one bandsaw style and one chop saw style). I need to thoroughly review my depth of cut needs.

Anthony,

At work, where we do occasional metal cutting, we use the Harbor Freight 14" bandsaw with 4 speeds set at at the slowest speed with a metal blade. Works great, even for thick steel or aluminum and the blades last a long time.

Mats
Mats