So I was planing barefoot last night...
From a practical point of view, we can only minimize the chances of accident in our shops. Regardless of what safety devices or gear you may put in place, nothing can replace a degree of patience as a safety measure.

Many people I know rush through some of their work, possibly leading to poorer results or incidents. One common example is countless times, I see people removing off-cuts before the sawblade comes to a complete stop. If you haven't seen that, many cowboys on youtube do that.

Try adding "patience" to your safety regime, and you will see safer and better shop work.

Simon
(10-16-2018, 09:46 AM)FS7 Wrote: ..and I ended up dropping an eight foot Goncalo Alves board, probably 8-9" wide, on the top of my foot. Both feet, actually, though the left took it a lot harder.

That hurt. Stupid should hurt, and that was stupid. I think I've managed to avoid anything serious, but it did take a few layers of thin skin off the top of my foot. I'm sure it'll be Neosporin and bandages for a few weeks, but thankfully the bone seems to be OK.

This reminds me of the time that I wanted to quickly cut one more hole in cornhole boards before bed. The hole saw skipped, and 1.5 toenails disappeared. Last night, I just wanted to see what the grain looked like.

As it turns out, the board is pretty plain. Sigh...

I can not understand why anyone would brag about something as stupid as going barefoot in a shop?
They sure must need to have people notice them.

Confused
I'm almost always barefoot in the shop.  I'm not worried about anyone noticing me.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
Stupid is, as stupid does I suppose!
(10-18-2018, 11:14 AM)Chuck 80 Wrote: I can not understand why anyone would brag about something as stupid as going barefoot in a shop?
They sure must need to have people notice them.

Confused

I am not getting the feeling that the OP was bragging about it, but to me, he was trying to share his story (and advice?) that going barefooted might not be a good idea in the shop. Working barefoot in the shop? My shop rules say no, no, no.

A lot of teenagers (mostly girls) drive in their flip-flogs, and I wonder if they get into an accident, the other party might use that fact against them.

Simon
(10-18-2018, 12:48 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I am not getting the feeling that the OP was bragging about it, but to me, he was trying to share his story (and advice?) that going barefooted might not be a good idea in the shop. Working barefoot in the shop? My shop rules say no, no, no.

A lot of teenagers (mostly girls) drive in their flip-flogs, and I wonder if they get into an accident, the other party might use that fact against them.

I recall where a LOT of people drive and work in flip-flops.  Not that I would care to go back to that area of the world, where steel soles in my boots....
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(10-18-2018, 01:25 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: I recall where a LOT of people drive and work in flip-flops.  Not that I would care to go back to that area of the world, where steel soles in my boots....

I sure remember the flip-flops days. This may persuade some (at least in the UK) to think twice before getting into their cars in flip-flops (or barefooted
Big Grin ): https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...e-13430077

Simon