Granite Counter Corner
I know that granite counter tops can be cut to fit a corner cabinet such as in the image below, but are there any special considerations I should be aware of before I make this cabinet?
It will be a regular cabinet with a lazy susan, not something like a sink base.
thanks
Ray

Attached Files Image(s)

Ray
No except to talk to your counter top guy. That corner will cost extra. Just be aware.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
thanks
I'm sure it will be extra, but as long as it's not going to be something like hundred$$$ extra I'm okay with it.
We'll see.
Ray
When we installed cabinets for my mother's house she ordered a corner cabinet. We didn't check the door openings and ended up removing some door casing to get it in the room (they can be pretty wide at the mid point). Cleared it by 1/4". Granite top was no issue, cut from one piece and joined at the end of the L.

Allow clearance in the corner of the cabinet so you'r not fighting a drywall angle of less than 90*.
Actually my corner is greater than 90. About 92 degrees! I will actually make the cabinet to fit the corner the same way I did the upper.

The opposite wall of the kitchen is less than 90 at about 88 degrees.
Somebody forgot their square when they put up these walls in 1957.
Ray
If the back of the cabinet isn't exposed, do something like this. much easier to work with. If you're concerned about the countertop hanging over the back, screw a cleat to the wall to support the granite.

[Image: jqbGSbi.jpg]

Easier to get in the door and easier to align in a corner. Remember that drywall corners are built up with mud. I don't care what the corner angle is, it's different than the wall angle because of the built-up mud..

Or... If one side of the cabinet is exposed and you're making these cabinets yourself, just make the corner cabinet like you show above but an inch or two shallower than the others and use a fill strip to fill the exposed side against the wall or some decorative molding.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

We just had our kitchen remodeled and have that exact situation. That piece of rock was very hard (heavy) for the 2 guys to get in place, but there were no other problems.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Yeah the back corner of the cabinet will be chopped
The image above is just of a section of the counter top to show what I want to do with the outside corner.

Fred how was that corner made? I imagine it was one piece with the two straights butting up to it.
Aren’t granite corners with a simple 90 usually two straights with one butting up to the other? while Formica tops are two 45s jointed together.
Ray
I made all my customers corner cabs that way. 32" round lazy susans are the cats meow.
Made my boxes 36x36, with 34-1/2" height.
Getting it in the door tip.....make your base legs removable. IE, use screws to attach them, not glue and nails.
Turned edgeways, the cab is 30" wide.

On the granite, the granite guys can just cut and glue in a triangle on your top. I think it will be around 18" long on the long point.

On the back of the cabinet, attach a 1/8" thick vertical strip of scrap on the 2 sides. This helps with out of square corners, preventing the center back of the cab hitting the wall first
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Yup - separate footer to the base is already in my plan so I have that 30” to go through the 36” front door

But the strips are a good idea! I was just going to make the angel of the backs to match the corner - which is 92 degrees! That’s what I did for the upper and it fit like a glove. Thanks
Ray