Granite Counter Corner
(10-19-2018, 05:55 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: If the back of the cabinet isn't exposed, do something like this. much easier to work with. If you're concerned about the countertop hanging over the back, screw a cleat to the wall to support the granite.

[Image: jqbGSbi.jpg]

Easier to get in the door and easier to align in a corner. Remember that drywall corners are built up with mud. I don't care what the corner angle is, it's different than the wall angle because of the built-up mud..

Or... If one side of the cabinet is exposed and you're making these cabinets yourself, just make the corner cabinet like you show above but an inch or two shallower than the others and use a fill strip to fill the exposed side against the wall or some decorative molding.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^ We put in two lazy susan's in our new kitchen a few years ago and used this design, along with granite countertops. Clean inside corners and it worked out great!

Doug
Ray I'll try to get a picture later today, but with ours, that would be one piece. One the top right it was trapped by a full height piece, and on the lower left would be the kitchen sink. The only seam in the counter was in the back center of the sink cutout...so it was a big piece thogh maybe not as big as yours.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Sounds pretty heavy, even by granite standards.
Any idea on how much extra cost was involved for having a corner like that?
That’s something I should take into account before I commit and make that corner cabinet this way.
Thanks
Ray
Here's the picture, I hope it can be seen...I really had to downsize to attach it. What you see is one piece of granite. the left side end at the center of that sink on the right, and on the left it looks like my downsizing cut off the cabinet, but that's pretty much right on the edge. Because it trapped between the wall and that cabinet on the right they really struggled to get it in. I asked what it weighed and they had no idea but guessed it to be well over 200#. For scale that cabinet under it on the right is a 30" cabinet.
Oops, you can see the cabinet on the right.

Attached Files Image(s)

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks Fred
I think I see now what you mean.
Yeah I don’t see them making mine out of one piece.
There’s five feet from the corner in on direction and about seven feet in the other which includes a cut out for a sink.
I’m hoping that my kitchen supply co can give me a best guess on the extra cost for a counter like this before I commit to it.
After I drew it up in sketchup using a standard 25” deep top I was surprised to see how far back it is the the corner from that outside stretch.
Thanks
Ray
Definitely much larger than ours. Talking to the supplier would be the best bet....your right, that depth in the corner is a long way. Also check with them on how well the seams are done, they don't seem to be quite as invisible as they are using, say, solid surface materials.
(10-21-2018, 02:57 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: Thanks Fred
I think I see now what you mean.
Yeah I don’t see them making mine out of one piece.
There’s five feet from the corner in on direction and about seven feet in the other which includes a cut out for a sink.
I’m hoping that my kitchen supply co can give me a best guess on the extra cost for a counter like this before I commit to it.
After I drew it up in sketchup using a standard 25” deep top I was surprised to see how far back it is the the corner from that outside stretch.
Thanks

Yours will be in 3 pieces. That corner depth will be 44". Not that bad really. Our mixer sits back there
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(10-21-2018, 02:57 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: There’s five feet from the corner in on direction and about seven feet in the other which includes a cut out for a sink.

I have a corner like that - one leg is 4.5' from the corner to end, the other is 7' from corner to end....cut from one piece with a corner sink. Granite slabs vary but can run up to 5' x 9'.

You mention a 'kitchen supply guy', have you checked with a granite fabricator yet?  They can show you slabs, then you pick one, and they come out and measure. Last time we went, they had hi res photos of the each of the slabs and superimposed the countertop outlines so you see how the grain patterns would look. Pretty cool.
Haven't gotten to the point of talking with the fabricators just yet. By kitchen supply I'm referring to Keidel here in Cincinnati.
I think the shop they use is KBR.
I believe that at some point when we're ready we will be able to go pick out the slab we want.

Close to 44". According to sketchup it will be 41 5/16" from corner to the outside edge.
There's also a peninsula about 36"x68" to be added and a small piece next to the stove about 9"x25".

Attached Files Image(s)

Ray
Your 11-7/8" front measurement seems to short. Mine is 16-3/8".

Are you making your corner box 36x36? Thats what I make mine
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020