Belsaw planer as a sander?
Question 
Have any of you guys converted either of the 12" Belsaw planer models into the drum sander...and liked the way it worked?  I have the "newer" model, from the 80's; it's the one that was built with heavy stamped steel instead of cast iron.  I have zero need for it as a planer, but would really like a drum sander in my shop, and since I got this one dirt cheap, I'm thinking of converting it over.  

Your experience?
Semper fi,
Brad

I would guess the first thing to check would be to compare the rotational speed of the planer with what is ideal for a sander. No idea how easy it would be to change the speed on that Belsaw planer.

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........
I'm not concerned with the speed of the head; I'm interested in whether others have used it and liked it or disliked it.
Semper fi,
Brad

I have a Belsaw planer and until recently I had a Ryobi drum sander.  I can see how the Belsaw could do the job.  The Ryobi had a much larger drum head than the Belsaw. I guess all of that could be worked out so the feed rollers still pull the wood through.  Most drum sanders I have seen, had a belt that fed the work piece through though.
The Belsaw has a conversion kit that replaces the knives in the cutter head with an aluminum gib that holds the paper in place. The rubber feed rollers work the same.
Semper fi,
Brad

http://www.belsaw.com/acc.htm
Semper fi,
Brad

Very cool. I was not aware that was out there.  Now I'm interested.
Can't give it a go yet--the guy who still sells parts for these old planers doesn't have the kits; he can't find anybody local to make them economically. He's trying to do it local, but says he might have to outsource to China for it. I'm on a waiting list for it.

Price for the aluminum gibs, slower pulley, and three rolls of paper is ~$96, so if it isn't *great* it won't be a total loss. I only paid $100 for the planer anyway. The motor inside is worth more than that!
Semper fi,
Brad

Not bad. I got mine on ebay for $38. Guess no one wanted to bid on a heavy machine you had to pick up in Tampa.