Shop Build-Out
I have a basement shop that has been "bare-bones" for several years now, i.e. just framed walls. I decided to finish the space and did some work on it last winter. Still have a ways to go but looking a little better. 
Smile  Fortunately I was able to use quite a bit of 2x scrap that had been hanging around after the major addition/renovation we did a few years ago. Also used some leftover rough sawn 1x material for the ledges that I jointed and planed.

Doug

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks like it is ready for carpeting, and drapes.
Looks good Doug.  I'm rearranging a lot of my equipment right now so I understand how long it can take.  I like the ledges - they look like the perfect size to hold a whiskey glass!

Lonnie
That's looking good Doug.  A finished space is so much nicer to work in.  It looks like you have plenty of outlets, too.  Hopefully, you considered where you are going to want 220V power.  

John
(10-19-2018, 02:38 PM)Tapper Wrote: I have a basement shop that has been "bare-bones" for several years now, i.e. just framed walls. I decided to finish the space and did some work on it last winter. Still have a ways to go but looking a little better. 
Smile  Fortunately I was able to use quite a bit of 2x scrap that had been hanging around after the major addition/renovation we did a few years ago. Also used some leftover rough sawn 1x material for the ledges that I joined and planed.

Doug

If I did that in my shop, my bride would make me move down there!  nice.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-19-2018, 07:31 PM)jteneyck Wrote: That's looking good Doug.  A finished space is so much nicer to work in.  It looks like you have plenty of outlets, too.  Hopefully, you considered where you are going to want 220V power.  

John

Thanks John - good point about the 220V outlets. I have a few on the walls and since the ceiling will remain unfinished, I have several up there also. The way this space is designed, some of the machines will be in the open area of the shop rather than against the walls so overhead drops are a necessity. Have to admit I do like finished space. This shop in its "unfinished state" served me well for the last several years. I used it to do much of the remodel work in our home.

Not to get too far afield, but we added on a 24' x 30' three story footprint. It changed the entire interior of the house. I subbed out all the heavy stuff and did the interior buildout as well as all the flooring and trim work myself. Much of the trim was made and fabbed in the shop.

A couple of years ago, Home Depot had a fire sale on some woodgrain laminate. I bought enough to cover the shop floor and hopefully will be able to install it later this winter. John T. was a huge help with the new interior staircase, yet to be completely finished - thanks again John!.

All in good time! 
Wink

Doug
Happy I could help, Doug.  And I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the stairs when they are done - probably not nearly as much as you are to getting that projected completed though.  

I assume your shop floor is concrete, right?  How do you plan to install the laminate?  Does it float on a foam pad?  I ask because my shop has a concrete floor and I've often thought of putting laminate down.  I've finally gotten most of the wood out of my shop, now that the shed is built, do it would be a good time to put down flooring.  

John
(10-20-2018, 12:02 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Happy I could help, Doug.  And I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the stairs when they are done - probably not nearly as much as you are to getting that projected completed though.  

I assume your shop floor is concrete, right?  How do you plan to install the laminate?  Does it float on a foam pad?  I ask because my shop has a concrete floor and I've often thought of putting laminate down.  I've finally gotten most of the wood out of my shop, now that the shed is built, do it would be a good time to put down flooring.  

John

Yep, concrete floor John. I'll buy the foam padding when I get ready to install the floor, probably again at HD. The laminate snaps together and floats on the foam padding, making for a softer feel on my aging feet. Another advantage is that at least some things (tools) accidentally dropped on the floor won't all be destroyed or damaged as severely as on bare concrete. 

Cian Perez posted some nice pics here when he installed the laminate floor in his shop. The ensuing discussions relative to the pros and cons of different surfaces convinced me that laminate was the best choice in my case.

Doug
(10-21-2018, 12:42 AM)Tapper Wrote: Yep, concrete floor John. I'll buy the foam padding when I get ready to install the floor, probably again at HD. The laminate snaps together and floats on the foam padding, making for a softer feel on my aging feet. Another advantage is that at least some things (tools) accidentally dropped on the floor won't all be destroyed or damaged as severely as on bare concrete. 

Cian Perez posted some nice pics here when he installed the laminate floor in his shop. The ensuing discussions relative to the pros and cons of different surfaces convinced me that laminate was the best choice in my case.

Doug

Thanks for the follow-up Doug.  I really like the idea of a little softer floor w/o using rubber mats.   And not dinging up my chisels every time I drop one would be very nice.  

John