Veritas MKII Narrow Honing Guide...
I already had the MKII guide, but hadn't used it much, cuz I've just been using one of the cheap guides for the simplicity. I've been using the same techniques as the Lie Nielsen guy on Youtube...I know...I'm a wimp for not going free hand, but I like the repeatability and simplicity. Anyhow, one day I checked how the guide holds my chisels and man, were they not square to the jig!
So, I went out and got the Narrow Honing Guide and tried it out. Boy, what a difference! Square and repeatable. I know, I know...learn to do it free hand. But you know what...this works for me, so I'll stick with it and let you pros go free hand.
By the way, the kit warned about a skewed secondary bevel, but mine was nice and even, so no worries. Only issue I had was when I first started using it, the chisel slipped a bit, so I had to reset it. Once hand tightened, I gave it a just a nudge with pliers. After that, no slip. I read one guy was told to roughen up the contact surface, so I may do that. It would be nice if the tightening knob had a slot for a screw driver.
I'll probably be using the jig for plane blades as well, since I now know the old one doesn't hold blades at 90*.
(10-19-2018, 05:08 PM)darita Wrote: I already had the MKII guide,

I'll probably be using the jig for plane blades as well, since I now know the old one doesn't hold blades at 90*.

This has been discussed elsewhere before (not sure about this forum), and one group of users did not share the same experience, while another asserted about the out of squareness problem.

I have both jigs and I also sharpen freehand. I use the narrow jig only for the narrowest chisels. I have never had the non-square issue with the MKII standard jig, and I use it as is, without adding a piece of sandpaper or anything to the clamp. I would attribute my success to not using the jig with excessive force. I let the stones hone the edges like letting the saw teeth do the sawing without excessive downward pressure.

If the tool is properly clamped and used with moderate force that the jig is designed for, I see no reason why an edge can't be honed 90*. I have had the MKII since 2007 or so, and the narrow jig (second hand) for about a year. Except for the 1/8" and narrower chisels, I sharpen everything else freehand.

Simon
(10-19-2018, 06:21 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: This has been discussed elsewhere before (not sure about this forum), and one group of users did not share the same experience, while another asserted about the out of squareness problem.

I have both jigs and I also sharpen freehand. I use the narrow jig only for the narrowest chisels. I have never had the non-square issue with the MKII standard jig, and I use it as is, without adding a piece of sandpaper or anything to the clamp. I would attribute my success to not using the jig with excessive force. I let the stones hone the edges like letting the saw teeth do the sawing without excessive downward pressure.

If the tool is properly clamped and used with moderate force that the jig is designed for, I see no reason why an edge can't be honed 90*. I have had the MKII since 2007 or so, and the narrow jig (second hand) for about a year. Except for the 1/8" and narrower chisels, I sharpen everything else freehand.

Simon
Simon, by "old one", I meant my old, cheap holder.  Sorry for the confusion.  The MKII, with the 2 holders, does plane blades and chisels very well.