Big box/small shed
I'm not quite sure what to call this, but I'm looking for ideas for a small shed to store a couple trash cans, misc. yard tools, extra motor oil, etc. where I park my truck.  I'm thinking something 4' X 8' and tall enough to stand a shovel in. Probably a double door on the long side so I can reach into the back corners without having to step into it.  The one requirement is that it is bear proof.  A saltbox style building is what I have in mind so most of the rain will drain off the back side and I don't have to stoop too low to reach into it from the front.  Any thoughts?

Phil
(10-19-2018, 10:27 PM)Phil S. Wrote: I'm not quite sure what to call this, but I'm looking for ideas for a small shed to store a couple trash cans, misc. yard tools, extra motor oil, etc. where I park my truck.  I'm thinking something 4' X 8' and tall enough to stand a shovel in. Probably a double door on the long side so I can reach into the back corners without having to step into it.  The one requirement is that it is bear proof.  A saltbox style building is what I have in mind so most of the rain will drain off the back side and I don't have to stoop too low to reach into it from the front.  Any thoughts?

Phil

Take a look at this, my son and I built this for him. Came out pretty well.

http://wood.woodtools.nov.ru/mag/wb/wb_267.pdf
bottd

The site you referenced  can you send me their homepage address?
http://woodtools.nov.ru/
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Just looking at it, my first thought would be to reverse the roof pitch to run rain and snow off the back of the shed instead of onto the approach. Otherwise, nice looking shed.

(10-20-2018, 09:01 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: http://woodtools.nov.ru/

Lots of copyright violations on that Russkie site, eh?
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
With modification, you can use the linked plan conveniently. A key requirement to me is convenient storage of a lawnmower. The plan shows a mower turned ninety degrees. No Way!  The depth must be convenient to direct access to heavier tools. [Just a note for others.] 

The stuff I see for bear-proofing is heavy steel containers. Design to other schemes is outside my experience. All I can say is don't get elaborate in your construction.
Thanks for the replies, gents, particularly the article bottd sent - a lot of good info there.  Having the long slope oriented off the back is just about mandatory here.  We usually get a lot of rain, but it is so dry this year that Ketchikan, one of the wetter spots in SE Alaska, is running their diesel generators 24/7 because their reservoir is so low.  I don't have a lawn mower (no lawn) so that's not a worry.  I've seen some ads saying you could park your 4-wheeler in a 4' X 8' shed - maybe if you had a big door on the end, but access would be tough through doors on the side like I prefer.  I've been plowing around on the 'net and the plan I've seen that I like best is this shed -

https://jamaicacottageshop.com/shop/salt-box/

It looks taller than I need for my use, but it seems it would be easy to make it a bit shorter.  I may add a post between the doors and drop bar brackets like these -
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/...re/5286646

to beef up the doors and slow down inquisitive bears and maybe a lock of some sort to discourage the light fingered crowd.

Send along any more ideas - I'm open for suggestions.

Phil
When we were in Alaska we went out to one of the glaciers to start our rafting trip. The storage shed on site had trouble with bears breaking in. They installed an electric fence around it. End of problem. Don't know what restrictions you have. Farmers here in Ohio have some electric fences that are portable so they can move them quickly to close off different sections of their fields. Don't think they are too expensive.

(10-20-2018, 06:50 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: When we were in Alaska we went out to one of the glaciers to start our rafting trip. The storage shed on site had trouble with bears breaking in. They installed an electric fence around it. End of problem. Don't know what restrictions you have. Farmers here in Ohio have some electric fences that are portable so they can move them quickly to close off different sections of their fields. Don't think they are too expensive.

A while back I put one around my landscaping in NJ to keep the deer away.  You can get solar panels to charge batteries that will give you enough power, i.e., low amps, high volts.  I made a mistake and grounded myself whilst touching the fence, knocked me on my kiester, didn't remember anything.  My bride came outside and said she heard me yell and then saw me laying on the ground.  It kept the deer away..... and it will likely do a number on bears as well.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis