Hearing protection
I would love some recommendations for hearing protection. I have for years used the bulky headphone type which I hate. Don’t like leaving them on very long. I am looking for the type that are shaped like cones that you push up into your ear canal. Preferably something that can hang around my neck and put it in and out easily. I don’t know if it is just my ear canal type, but I have to push them up pretty far to really work. The pair I have are separate pieces and have a little hollow cylinder that you slide the shaft onto that pushes them in. But that’s a pain. What do yall use?
Paul
"Some glue, some brads while the glue dries, and that's not going anywhere!"
Norm
Depends on the task at hand and how long I'm going to have them in.

For long wear, I typically use a foam ear plug like this:  Foam ear plug link  When I'm on my fishing trip with the guys in Canada, I'll wear the foam plugs to sleep in to cut out the sound of snoring or CPAP machines.  These kinds of plugs also come tethered like you indicated that you want.  

If I need just quick protection for a couple minutes, then I go with ear muffs.  

When I want to listen to the radio, then I wear my work tunes muffs.
SensGard 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppfSoRGhQzM

My local club recently did a survey, and found 2/3 of us using SensGard (two years ago, we had a show and tell on this hearing protection).

I got mine second hand, but replaced the earcuffs. 5/5 is my rating. It allows you to carry out a conversation, or listen to music in the shop even if it's worn (NRR 31). Unlike earmuffs, it does not pinch on your ears. You can keep it on if you wish the whole day in the shop.

Simon
When I had a day job we were required to use hearing protection all the time when on the production floor. The plant stocked just about every kind you could imagine, but I settled on these (as did most of the others) as the most comfortable for extended wear.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(10-20-2018, 01:19 PM)fredhargis Wrote: but I settled on these (as did most of the others) as the most comfortable for extended wear.

I also have some of those left which I use when my SensGuard is not around. Two things to remember: Its NRR is only 25, and so I don't use it when operating the thickness planer or circular saw, etc. They get dirty quickly and you need to use soap water to clean them now and then. Comparatively, they are more expensive than the SensGuard in the long term unless you reuse them.

Simon
(10-20-2018, 01:38 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I also have some of those left which I use when my SensGuard is not around. Two things to remember: Its NRR is only 25, and so I don't use it when operating the thickness planer or circular saw, etc. They get dirty quickly and you need to use soap water to clean them now and then. Comparatively, they are more expensive than the SensGuard in the long term unless you reuse them.

Simon

just LIL, but I always get a kick out of threads that speak about hearing protection...Some of these same people that seem so "concerned", you can hear {and FEEL} driving past you with the speakers going full blast!!!.I guess they think loud "music" does no harm..

I had a friend that was stone deaf but he could hear a dime drop on a concrete floor from 20ft away!!
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(10-20-2018, 01:53 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...................
just LIL, but I always get a kick out of threads that speak about hearing protection...Some of these same people that seem so "concerned",  you can hear {and FEEL} driving past you with the speakers going full blast!!!.I guess they think loud "music" does no harm..

I had a friend that was stone deaf but he could hear a dime drop on a concrete floor from 20ft away!!
Crazy

Let me ask you this question: When was the last time you had an audiology diagnostic test? 

Yes, if your music is constantly over 85dB, you will suffer hearing loss. It is medical science, not a myth. 

Planers and shop vacs can produce noise over 100dB. 

It is not about paranoid when the topic of hearing protection is raised.

Good luck to your ears if you think you can woodwork without hearing protection...unless all your work is done with hand tools. or with machines that don't scream like an airplane taking off.

By the way, if someone can hear a dime as you described, they are not stone deaf at all.

Simon
(10-20-2018, 03:47 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Let me ask you this question: When was the last time you had an audiology diagnostic test? 

Yes, if your music is constantly over 85dB, you will suffer hearing loss. It is medical science, not a myth. 

Planers and shop vacs can produce noise over 100dB. 

It is not about paranoid when the topic of hearing protection is raised.

Good luck to your ears if you think you can woodwork without hearing protection...unless all your work is done with hand tools. or with machines that don't scream like an airplane taking off.

By the way, if someone can hear a dime as you described, they are not stone deaf at all.

Simon

Simon, really, lighten up.  Jack's point was about loud music being destructive to hearing, not about discouraging people from using hearing protection around ww machines.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-20-2018, 05:22 PM)Admiral Wrote: Simon, really, lighten up.  Jack's point was about loud music being destructive to hearing, not about discouraging people from using hearing protection around ww machines.

My apologies to Jack, as mis-reading between tasks can happen (and this ain't the first time
Wink )

Simon
I wear hearing protection everyday at work. I also wear it when I'm in the shop, shooting guns or mowing the lawn. That's a bit over 35 years. It has gotten to the point where things don't sound "right" if I don't have my plugs in. I leave them in pretty much the whole time I'm in the shop so I'm not constantly taking them in & out.

That said, I use Purafit Earplugs. With a NRR of 33, they work quite well when inserted properly, and are comfortable enough to wear for hours...

Two pennies worth,
Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."