Show me your shaper cutter guards
Specifically, for a Delta 43-375 that I picked up at auction. Got it cleaned up, purchased a 3/4" spindle, and a box of carbide bits at an estate sale. Chucked one up and turned it on. A bit intimidating to say the least! Apparently the guard designed for the machine was the Safe Guard II which is a 4-1/2" dia piece of clear material of some kind with a 3/4" bearing in the middle that bolts on top of cutter. They are still available for about $100 but the guards that come with the new machines seem much more practical. It seems to me that it wouldn't be too hard to fabricate a cutter guard for this machine that could be fastened to the dust port thereby increasing it's efficiency. If anybody has tried that, I would appreciate the help. I'm still looking out for a reasonably priced power feeder. As I was warned, the spending is just beginning.

Papa Jim
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
(10-21-2018, 10:09 AM)Papa Jim Wrote:  A bit intimidating to say the least! 

Get this book:  https://www.amazon.com/Spindle-Moulder-H...ulder+book

It really is the only one that approaches guarding in a modern way.  A shaper lives and dies by its fence.  I actually have a guard similar to the Safe Gaurd II but only use it for template shaping using a Byrd insert cutter.  If I understand it correctly and you have no fence at all I would be looking to track one down that you can fit to the shaper.  Try the BOYD on OWWM.
I have several different versions of 1/4" ply guards that just bolt on top of the cast dust port. Depending on which cutter is on, I have various sizes of ply.
I have a 3hp powermatic.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

[attachment=13857 Wrote:Huxleywood pid='7679940' dateline='1540142133']
Get this book:  https://www.amazon.com/Spindle-Moulder-H...ulder+book

It really is the only one that approaches guarding in a modern way.  A shaper lives and dies by its fence.  I actually have a guard similar to the Safe Gaurd II but only use it for template shaping using a Byrd insert cutter.  If I understand it correctly and you have no fence at all I would be looking to track one down that you can fit to the shaper.  Try the BOYD on OWWM.

It's got the standard fence:

It's just the cutter guard that I'm interested in.  It just seems to me that a good shop built cutter guard could also be fastened to, and make the dust collector more efficient. Thanks for the book info.
(10-21-2018, 07:03 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I have several different versions of 1/4" ply guards that just bolt on top of the cast dust port. Depending on which cutter is on, I have various sizes of ply.
I have a 3hp powermatic.

That's what I had in mind. Any problem with drilling and tapping the cast iron dust port? I was worried about cracking it.
Your dust collection top doesn't look to user friendly.
Heres a pic of my powermatic top. The top cast cover slides/adjusts, and also gives you a place to make/mount a guard.
This particular guard that is on now, is a guard for raising door panels. Guards are easy to fashion and attach. Guards/covers also improve the dust/chip collection.

I have a friend that has a 3hp grizzly shaper, and he saw my powermatic top, and went and purchased the top assembly and installed it on his griz machine.

Also, I use/make a one piece board fence on my shaper. I throw the 2-piece fences in the woodstove. 
Winkgrin Never found a use for them. I always run ball bearings on all my cutters for the depth of cut.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

3/4 plywood top, 1/4 mdf front & sides.

Ed

Attached Files Image(s)

If you need a particular dust port size or shape, we can make them. We have just started doing this on our 3D printers. Very strong results with PetG.
We made adapters that fit 4" S&D PVC to 4" hose and 2.5" hose. Shoot us an email if you have specific needs. We can design, print and ship within a couple days.
Lee
(10-21-2018, 08:51 PM)EdL Wrote: 3/4 plywood top, 1/4 mdf front & sides.

Ed

Yeah! That's what I had in mind.  Simple and efficient.
Problem:

Solution:

Solution in place:

I was concerned about how to attach it. As it turned out I made it about 1/32" narrower than the hood so for now the "wings" hold it on tightly. If it loosens up later I'll solve the problem then. I left an inch at the bottom for stock. If I need to work thicker stock I can raise the guard with spacers. Love doing this kind of stuff!

Papa Jim