Wiring for shop lights
I recently moved to a new home with a nice detached shop and I am working on setting up the space. The previous owner hung a beautiful white tin (pole barn roofing) celing but unfortunately didn't do any hard wiring just plugged on a few shop lights into wall sockets. I found an awesome deal on 4' led light fixtures with 5' cords and plugs already attahed. I would like to hang 12 of them on the celing. My preference is to keep the celing as uncluttered as possible. My dad suggested putting switched outlets in the atic space, drilling a small hole in the tin, adding a snap-in bushing for abrasion protection and simply plugging in the lights in the atic. That would minimize cords and outlets hanging down. I like the idea.... but does anyone know if that is allowable by code? I have looked around on the internet but haven't been able to find anything. Thank you in advance
I'm not sure where you are, but that would not be allowed where I live.

Scott
Custer county, South Dakota there is verry little in the way of building codes here, but I always do things above board. I know the IBC allows ( and requires in some circumstances) plugs and lights in atic spaces...
(10-22-2018, 01:26 PM)riftsawn Wrote: Custer county, South Dakota there is verry little in the way of building codes here, but I always do things above board. I know the IBC allows ( and requires in some circumstances) plugs and lights in atic spaces...

The cord can't pass through a wall or ceiling per NEC 400.12 (2)
Thank you, It looks like I will be purchasing a pnumatic sheet metal nibbler and cutting in boxes!
Why not just 4" surface boxes and conduit? Makes a clean installation, and it's easy to add more in the future.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(10-22-2018, 02:10 PM)riftsawn Wrote: Thank you, It looks like I will be purchasing a pnumatic sheet metal nibbler and cutting in boxes!

you should be able to use a jig saw and metal cutting blade. drill holes at each corner and cut away.
(10-22-2018, 04:54 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Why not just 4" surface boxes and conduit?  Makes a clean installation, and it's easy to add more in the future.

that's what I'd do.  paint everything to match the ceiling and you'll never notice them.
(10-23-2018, 04:49 PM)crokett™ Wrote: that's what I'd do.  paint everything to match the ceiling and you'll never notice them.

Seems like a no brainer to me......
Drill a hole for a standard metal junction box 1/2" nipple. Add nipple, cable protector and box. Pull romex in. One of those step bits would make easy work.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry