Sign Making Templates Wanted...
I saw some sign making templates on the recent Rockler ad and that peaked my interest although I know nothing about how to.  Are there different fonts available?  Do I need a big $ initial outlay?  Is the Rockler set good?
There are severy kit with basic lettering you can buy for making signs with a router.

Set up next to a guy that did signs who didn't use a kit at several shows. Folks would print their names or whatever they wanted on a sign and he would free hand that sign with his router. He had both clear finish or different paints wood blanks people could select.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/miles...making-jig

https://www.ptreeusa.com/rtr_jigs_signs_lettering.htm

Think having a lazer printer would give you more letter fonts & little designs than come with those router kits.
Bill
I routed names in several hundred pickets for a "Funtopia" project.

Printed the names on plain paper in the size and font wanted, glued the paper to the picket, free-handed it from there.

Then I filled the routed names with paint and ran them through the planer to take the paper and excess paint off.

Worked well for me
Cool
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
We had been talking about making some signs and while at Rockler a couple months ago I picked up the 3-3/8" State Park font kit to check it out.  As I set it down and began to move on, my wifey stopped me and said we should get it, also noting that it was on sale at the time.  I'd already blown through a lot of funds on woodworking gear this year and was trying to be conservative with our $$, but she was good with it so we bought the kit and a router bit (as well as the other items we were there for).  Later and after some further research, we bought a Dewalt DW611PK (router with fixed and plunge base) - which I have found to be a great router that I highly recommend and the router with plunge base is invaluable.  My older & larger fixed base Craftsman router has now taken up permanent residence in the portable router table.

Since purchasing I have made a variety of signs and have found the templates to be easy to use, of good quality and they create a very nice sign.  The first sign I made was for the entrance to our driveway using some left-over 5/4" x 6" deck boards.  I've also made several name and welcome signs out of some reclaimed lumber as well as a variety of other signs.  Once routed, I used a brush to fill in the recessed areas with paint.  A sander or jointer (or planer) can be used to clear off accidental paint if necessary, though with reclaimed wood and wanting to keep the more rustic appearance, a steady hand is needed.  A Q-tip slightly dampened with water or mineral spirits (depending on the paint being used) can be useful for small spots if needed.

We like the State Park Font which creates a pleasant visual.  We also like the ability to have unbroken letters which is accomplished by first routing with one template and then switching to the second template to complete the letter, leaving a nice clean appearance.  Another feature is that the kit includes kerning spacers to provide even spacing between letters which is particularly important when certain letters are adjacent to each other (example: LY).  The instruction sheet for the proper sequence is satisfactory, and the optional online sign making wizard takes any guesswork out of the process and makes it quite easy.  https://signmaking.rockler.com/

Rockler also has a Comic Sans font in two sizes but the letters are 'broken' and the letters and the numbers / symbols come in two separate kits.  I'm not sure if this set includes kerning spacers or not.  Prior to purchasing the State Park kit, I'd also checked out sign making kits from other manufacturers and liked the Rockler set better.

We would now like to get the State Park font in the smaller sizes for additional sign options.  Also, while I have yet to obtain one, I am planning on getting the Dewalt DNP616 dust collector for the plunge base and will likely also get the DNP615 for the fixed base, both of which have had good reviews.  Routing the signs can make a lot of dust and dust collection would make a lot less mess, additionally the letters tend to fill up while routing and require clearing for clean edges.  Right now I typically route the letters, sweep with a shop vac, then do a second pass.  I have made the signs with different depth settings and would recommend you do a couple test cuts to see what you like best.

We had a family gathering yesterday and there were many good comments on the signs - and many requests for signs that they would like to have for themselves (including some even specifying the colors).  It looks like Xmas shopping will include some time WoodShopping this year, and I will enjoy doing so.  I've attached a couple pictures.

(10-22-2018, 03:58 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: I routed names in several hundred pickets for a "Funtopia" project.

Printed the names on plain paper in the size and font wanted, glued the paper to the picket, free-handed it from there.

Then I filled the routed names with paint and ran them through the planer to take the paper and excess paint off.

Worked well for me
Cool

Good idea  . Problem is can I remember it .
Raised

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.