Shed Project: Doors
(11-01-2018, 04:52 PM)Admiral Wrote: Like I said earlier, if I built a shed that nice, my bride would make me live in it!!!!

Well it has gutter plumbing!!
Laugh  Add a campstove and a cot. You'd be set.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks for the additional compliments; very much appreciated.  I was out to the shed today during a good drizzle.  The gutters are doing their job.   When I walked to the outlet of the drain line there was a steady trickle of water coming out.  The gravel base looked dry even though we've had nearly 2" of rain in the past day or so.  

The shed has no insulation so I don't recommend moving in for Winter.  But I could feel that it was warmer inside than out the other day when I was out there on a cloudy day even though there are no windows on the S or W walls except for the gable window on the S side.  I checked the moisture content on some of the lumber and it has gone down about 2% in the week since I added the second set of doors to close in the shed, from 14 to 12%.  I'm interested to see if it continues to go down and where it will stabilize, if it ever does.  For reference, all the wood in my shed was kiln dried to 6 - 8% and was in that range when I moved it out of my climate controlled basement shop.   With no doors on the shed, the MC went up to 14% in less than a month.  

I designed the shed to hold my dehumidification kiln along the S wall, but the more I'm looking at it and thinking about it the more I think I'm going to build a solar kiln instead.  I have plenty of room to build one.  More important, it will dry green wood more quickly and probably with fewer losses than the air dry then kiln dry approach that I use now.  I'm milling some ash right now, some of it as 2-1/4" thick live edge slabs.  Air drying will take a year, at least, and then another month in the kiln.  In a solar kiln it would go from green to dry by Spring.  Why don't I kiln dry green lumber?  I would have to redesign the kiln to handle all the water that the wood gives off going from green down to about 30%, which I could do, but it wouldn't dry wood much faster than the solar kiln (except in mid winter) and it would take daily monitoring, unlike the solar kiln which is nearly load it and forget it (not quite, but close).  So that may be a future story.  

I expect the Building Inspector will stop by tomorrow.  

John
The building inspector came this morning.  He stopped at the front door and asked if he could go look at the shed.  "Sure, I'll be along shortly, too." I said.  I went out a couple of minutes later and saw he was walking around looking at all sides of the shed.  I opened one set of doors for him to go inside and he did.  He looked around the inside then turned and asked "Did you do all this yourself?".  "Yeah, everything but the shingles on the roof." I replied.  Then he said "This is really, really, well done."  "Thanks very much."  And that was the extent of the inspection.  

Then he saw the big log I have on my lumber mill ready to be cut and asked about it.  We had a pleasant conversation for another few minutes about turning a log into furniture.  He knew nothing about woodworking but was fascinated about the whole process and at one point said something like "I had no idea there was so much involved."  to which I said something like "That's pretty common with most things when you look into them a little."  

John
Sounds like you had a very successful inspection. Congrats on the pass.
Looks awesome! Great work and thanks for the additional work to share it on the forum.
(11-08-2018, 01:51 PM)Souperchicken Wrote: Looks awesome! Great work and thanks for the additional work to share it on the forum.

Exactly.  While it is not a huge deal to shoot pics and post them here, a lot of us don't when we could.
 This forum lives because of folks taking the time to shoot some photos and post them with a short 
 write up.   

Or, post up when someone requests info/pics, etc. For instance the "show me your hammers thread."

I guess what I am saying is, THANK YOU , for posting this shed build.   It is work to do. And document.
And post it all up here.    

Take a bow!!

Big Grin
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me