Bug Bomb
Thinking of setting off one of those cans of bug bomb (the kind you light off and leave for a while) in my shop/garage (running into periodically a wolf spider in the dark has been less than fun).

You think it would harm the cast iron surfaces of my table saw, jointer, planer, bandsaw, etc. or should I cover them?
A coat of car wax will probably be all the protection you need.  It also protects from normal corrosion.  But buff it completely clean--you don't want wax rubbing off on your wood stock.  It might affect the ability to take a finish.

Or apply the wax immediately after spraying.  You have to wait a half hour or so before ventilating the garage.  Once it is ventilated you can simply wipe it down with cleaner or WD-40 or wax.  I use butchers wax on my table top every 6 months or so.  But I take care to wipe off all the excess completely.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I've done it a couple of times without any prep and it seemed to have no effect on any of my tools.
Never had an issue here, I bomb the shop once a year to kill spiders.

Ed
get the ones that smokes-a dry fogger- rather than the ones that spray out a mist. i used these
https://www.raid.com/en-us/products/raid...dry-fogger

in our house due to spiders. set em off on friday and came home sunday. no residue on surfaces and spiders seem to be gone. 
of course- i may have gone overboard- 4 in the basement, 4 on 1st floor, and 3 in the attic.
(10-23-2018, 11:23 AM)tomsteve Wrote: get the ones that smokes-a dry fogger- rather than the ones that spray out a mist. i used these
https://www.raid.com/en-us/products/raid...dry-fogger

in our house due to spiders. set em off on friday and came home sunday. no residue on surfaces and spiders seem to be gone. 
of course- i may have gone overboard- 4 in the basement, 4 on 1st floor, and 3 in the attic.

When I bought my house I went similarly overboard.  But I sprayed in a totally empty house before taking occupancy.  I recommend it for all new home purchases.  For $30.00 or $40.00 I moved into  a house that I knew was bug free.  (It did not stay that way unfortunately--spiders, stink bugs and an occasional ant--no cockroaches thank goodness).
Long story made short but years ago I helped my parents clean up a property they were selling. It was pretty bad. ~1500 sqft house, I think it only needed 2 bug bombs as per the directions. I did 7 plus 2 in the crawlspace. I started at the back of the house. 1 in each back bedroom, one in the master, 2 in the hall and 2 in the livingroom/kitchen area. then I closed the front door and we left it for a week. My mom said they went up there the next weekend and you couldn't walk anywhere in the house without crunching dead roaches.
(10-23-2018, 04:42 PM)crokett™ Wrote: Long story made short but years ago I helped my parents clean up a property they were selling.  It was pretty bad.  ~1500 sqft house, I think  it only needed 2 bug bombs as per the directions.  I did 7 plus 2 in the crawlspace.  I started at the back of the house.  1 in each back bedroom, one in the master, 2 in the hall and 2 in the livingroom/kitchen area.  then I closed the front door and we left it for a week.  My mom said they went up there the next weekend and you couldn't walk anywhere in the house without crunching dead roaches.

Yes, an empty house is ideal for this purpose.  Especially with all the closet doors and cabinet doors open.