Handle for Disston Back saw
(10-23-2018, 10:39 AM)enjuneer Wrote: Either apple or beech, depending on the model and when it was made. Shellac or lacquer was used at the factory since it dried quickly.

That's what the factory used. Since it is your saw, you can use whatever pleases you. Here is a Disston with a custom handle of birdseye maple.

Well I checked local Woodcraft,and Rockler for Beech or Apple lumber, unfortunately they do not  stock.
Checked other local Lumber company and they to stock either.

I did not think it will be that challenging.
I only need a small piece, so I will start looking into local firewood , I may be able to saw it on my bandsaw.
(10-28-2018, 09:49 AM)Jack01 Wrote: I did not think it will be that challenging.
I only need a small piece, so I will start looking into local firewood , I may be able to saw it on my bandsaw.

My thought too. Chunks are sold for retail smokers and restaurants, but it is too small for handles. When we drive through NCentral WA, the orchards are everywhere, and periodically they replace trees and varieties. The piles of old wood are massive. Can I find any, even small pieces? No way!! 

I think much of the reasoning for not recycling fruitwood is potential of spreading disease. We have 'No Transport' warnings everywhere.