Planing prefinshed material
Been a while since I was last on here. Tried to search but couldn't come up with the correct term.
Scored some prefinshed QSWO door jamb stock, 11 sticks of 10' L x 4.75" W x 1-3/8", along with some 3/4" sticks. Got them for $50. Question is can I run them through my bench-top planer without ruining the blades? One side is prefinshed and the other side isn't.
I've planed painted boards before without any issue, I think you'll be fine.
The  more common answer is that it will dull the blades. I've only done very small amounts so can't testify with any degree of certainy. But if it dulls your blades, so what...have them sharpened. The finishes used in some pre finished applications is very tough....and may well have you changing the blades.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks for the replies. Yes, the appropriate concern is dulling the knives. The planer is a Delta bench-top model with I presume, disposable knives. So if I just planed the unfinished side, should I be concerned with destabilizing the thick QSWO stock? Need to remove two shallow vent ridges that run the length of the stock.
That would be no problem (with the planer) but those grooves are usually 1/8" deep or so, will the stock still be usable if plane it down?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
My initial thought is that if it's an aluminum-based finish then it might dull steel blades. Carbide would be better. If it's lacquer, then there's probably no real concern regardless.
When I had a similar planer, I always saved the dull blades for jobs like this one. The finish won't ruin them, but will dull them up.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-24-2018, 01:40 PM)fredhargis Wrote: That would be no problem (with the planer) but those grooves are usually 1/8" deep or so, will the stock still be usable if plane it down?

Should be fine. Thickness of the stock is about 1-3/8" measured to the bottom of the groove. I'll be using it for a table top.
(10-24-2018, 02:02 PM)FS7 Wrote: My initial thought is that if it's an aluminum-based finish then it might dull steel blades. Carbide would be better. If it's lacquer, then there's probably no real concern regardless.

Not sure what type of finish. Looks and feels similar to prefinshed Baltic birch ply used for making drawers. I may leave the finish and make it the bottom of the table top.
(10-24-2018, 03:06 PM)EBamba Wrote: Should be fine. Thickness of the stock is about 1-3/8" measured to the bottom of the groove. I'll be using it for a table top.

Could you just plane the unfinished/grooved side and leave the pre-finished as the underside/unexposed? Or is that a little "tacky"?
Oops, looks like you beat me to it
Smile