pen mill
(10-29-2018, 07:10 AM)Bope Wrote:  What has worked best for me is to make sure I have a freshly charged battery in the drill then support the blank on the floor and lean on the drill. Holding the blank in my hand I can't get enough pressure on it. Even then after doing a bubinga blank the mill was hot to the touch and the end of the blank was burnt.

holding the blank in your hand is a terrible idea for safety reasons.  you shouldn't have to lean on the blank on the floor to get enough pressure to cut.  your end mill isn't sharp enough.  I put my blanks in a vise and use a hand drill on them.  I don't use a DP because I want the reamer on the end mill to follow the tube.  I can mill the ends square using normal pressure.  it also helps if the blanks are more than about 1/4" longer than the tubes to trim most of the waste wood off before milling the ends.