Veritas Dowel Maker
A few months ago I bought the Veritas Master Dowel Maker kit with money from a safety award at work. It seemed that a few of the projects I'd been working on occasionally needed a specific dowel of a specific flavor, so I bought the kit for those occasions. I'm currently working on a project that requires 3/4" ash dowels....

The setup is pretty easy, but watching this video helped even more. The biggest things are to make sure it's well secured to your bench and to keep the shavings cleaned up...

[Image: DjTtUkT.jpg]
[/url]

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYnyCAn4YaA]
[Image: XRCEsPA.jpg]

This after just one ~18" dowel.....

[Image: AH1QDcW.jpg]

The shavings on the floor are from more than one dowel...
Winkgrin

[Image: 6lkDzR6.jpg]

I'm very pleased with the results!
Yes

[Image: PzgeDxy.jpg]

As you can see, it'll dial right in...

[Image: bDMNhZ1.jpg]

This thing is gonna come in real handy...
Yes 

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Nice.  I had a blacksmith friend cut me a plate, and drill holes to drive short dowels thru... not as nice as that one, but it works. 
Smirk
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
A very nice review. The Dial caliper photo sure proves your point.
Most impressive.
Ag
(10-26-2018, 08:02 PM)AgGEM Wrote: A very nice review. The Dial caliper photo sure proves your point.
Most impressive.
Ag

I was also quite pleased with the finish. Very little, if any, sanding will be needed...
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
(10-27-2018, 02:17 AM)Big Dave Wrote: I was also quite pleased with the finish. Very little, if any, sanding will be needed...

Wow a high tech pencil sharpener. 
Big Grin

Now with this new tool WHAT do you not have????
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(11-05-2018, 08:35 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Now with this new tool WHAT do you not have????

Oh, there's still quite a list....
Winkgrin 

I figure if I buy all the tools for my hobby while I'm still working I won't have to worry too much about living on a fixed income when I retire...
Big Grin
Well that is a great plan, however, what happens like to guys like me who end up retireing and then getting into wood working.
Crazy

Yah I still have a long way to go but I really do not need ALL the tools out there.  Would love a 4hp or 5 hp air compressor with 80 gallon tank and would love to have your new tool above.  How big can the dowels be make with that thing anyway?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(11-08-2018, 10:20 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: How big can the dowels be make with that thing anyway?

The sizes range from 1/4" to 1" in 1/8" increments.

Maybe Santa will bring you that big air compressor if you ask real nice?
Winkgrin