Circuit breaker blowing
When I turn on my TS.  It seems to come up to speed, and then the breaker blows, before I push any wood into the blade.

I checked to be sure nothing else was turned on in the garage, other than the lights.  They are on their own circuit.

The saw only did this one evening, and did it 4 or 5 times.  It has not done it since either.

Any ideas.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
You really need to put an ammeter on the line to see what's happening, but it's possible the centrifugal switch isn't opening, which will cause it to draw excessive current even with no load of any kind. With the belt off, assuming it's got an induction motor and a belt drive, can you hear the switch closing when it coasts to a stop?
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(10-27-2018, 10:47 AM)TDKPE Wrote: You really need to put an ammeter on the line to see what's happening, but it's possible the centrifugal switch isn't opening, which will cause it to draw excessive current even with no load of any kind.  With the belt off, assuming it's got an induction motor and a belt drive, can you hear the switch closing when it coasts to a stop?

I heard the switch close.  I have not blown out the motor in a while.  I will do that today.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
The fly weights may be moving, but if the contacts are welded shut or sticking at least, the motor will draw excessive current and be weak. The start winding is sort of like a slow guy helping to push a car to get it moving but if he doesn't let go as it picks up speed, he'll be holding it back.

Are you sure the bearings in either the motor or the saw aren't getting stiff?

Oh, and it could be that the breaker is just weak, but taking a current reading will confirm what's actually going on.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(10-27-2018, 10:36 AM)Cecil Wrote: When I turn on my TS.  It seems to come up to speed, and then the breaker blows, before I push any wood into the blade.

I checked to be sure nothing else was turned on in the garage, other than the lights.  They are on their own circuit.

The saw only did this one evening, and did it 4 or 5 times.  It has not done it since either.

Any ideas.

Cecil, your problem sounds familure!  A typical table saw, equipped with a 1-1/2 HP, 120V motor draws very high level of current on startup!  High enough to trip a 20A circuit breaker!  Not every time, but often enough to be annoying!  I've had this happen on my  1-1/2 HP Delta dust collector also!

The solution to this problem is to replace the circuit breaker in your main panel!  My panel uses Square D circuit breakers.  I replaced the standard 120V 20A breaker with Square D model HOM120HM.  Note, this is still a 20A breaker!  It has a higher magnetic pick up point and should solve your inrush tripping issue.  This type of breaker is also referred to as a Time Lapse" circuit breaker, often used with air conditioners! 

In all probability you won't find this type of circuit breaker at the big box stores.  My source has been Amazon, Home Depot special order, and eBay.

If this sound like a solution for you, do some web research on the Square D model HOM120HM.

Good Luck

-Don
-Don