Which Steel, O1 or A2
(10-28-2018, 04:21 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: I agree with Derek. Spend the extra $$ for the PM-V11 steel. Sharpens like O1 but holds its edge like A2. That’s what’s in my spokeshaves.
Thanks, sounds like a win win on the PM-V11.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
I have both the regular and large spoke shave with the PM-V11 and really like that I can work a bunch of wood before the need to re-sharpen.
(10-27-2018, 01:41 PM)ruffcutt Wrote: I'm ordering a couple of Veritas spokeshaves. The flat one and a concave one. The question is what's everyones opinion on the choice of steel. O1 or A2.

I get the feeling that some of the respondents to this post have little experience with a concave spokeshave. We usually sharpen these with a set of slipstones.  It is a lot of work, so you don't want abrasion resistant steels like A2 or PMV 11, you want something that abrades easily. I prefer something that abrades more easily than O1, not something that is more stubborn.
Warren, it is not a concave spokeshave. I checked earlier. It is a round bottom spokeshave, which uses a straight blade. No slipstones needed.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Thanks for everyone response. I ended up changing my order to PMV 11 steel. They (lee Valley) said they hoped to get them to me mid Dec or by Xmas.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK