Cleaning disc platen
A friend gave me an older Craftsman 48" belt 9" disc sander, that's in pretty good shape, but the metal disc has years oif glue on it, I'd like to strip down to the aluminum again...

What's some decent solvent/cleaner that will take that glue off?

tia.. Dave
I think I would start with a heat gun and a putty knife, then clean with solvent
I have also heard that WD 40 will loosen adhesive
Take the plate off, and soak it in a pan of water. May take a few days
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Goo gone? I'd hit it with a scraper and/or razor blade first too, the heat gun is a good idea.
(10-27-2018, 06:48 PM)DaveBozeman Wrote: A friend gave me an older Craftsman 48" belt 9" disc sander, that's in pretty good shape, but the metal disc has years oif glue on it, I'd like to strip down to the aluminum again...

tia.. Dave

Heat the disc by sanding a scrap first. Then brush on laquer thinner. Scrape the residue off with a 2" putty knife. You could use a scraper blade to remove the gunk instead of a putty knife. The type I have seen has a 10" or so handle that holds a razor type blade that is about 3" long and 1/4" wide. The putty knife should do though.
mike
Lacquer thinner, acetone or you can even try some of the disc brake cleaner Walmart sells.
Being lazy, I tried the least work approach. Soaked in lacquer thinner for 3 hours.. took off 99+%.. thanks!
Lacquer thinner for the win here too.

Peeled the abrasive part away, mostly.
Then was left with the usual tears / etc.
and very old stuck on glue....

Once I got the darn disc off the motor shaft
(Been on there since 1986 according to the decal),
laid the thing in a shallow pan of lacquer thinner
and walked away for a few hours.

Easy Peasy.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(10-27-2018, 06:48 PM)DaveBozeman Wrote: A friend gave me an older Craftsman 48" belt 9" disc sander, that's in pretty good shape, but the metal disc has years oif glue on it, I'd like to strip down to the aluminum again...

tia.. Dave

As I posted, laquer thinner. After heating the plate by sanding scrap wood. I removed the paper today, ran out of laquer thinner. Instead I sprayed WD-40 on the disc , especially on the edges. Got the paper started and then put a small pair of vice grips on the paper and pulled. Every so often I sprayed more WD-40  and let it drip down. It took about 3 or 4 minutes to pull the paper off. The glue residue came off in less than  1 minute by wrapping a drywall sanding sheet ( looks like netting not paper) and applied it to the spinning disc. The disc was as clean as new in 1 minute or less.
mike
Better living through chemistry.

Yes
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me