Need to drill 15/16" holes in steel
I need to drill about 24 holes, 15/16" diameter, in 1/8" mild steel for an upcoming project. The largest bit I currently own is 1/2". I'd rather not try to make the step up from 1/2" to 15/16", but I also don't want to buy several large diameter bits I'm not likely to use again. I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation on decent hole saw for steel. I don't expect a regular hole saw would hold up too well, but what do I know? Suggestions?
Jason

That is pretty heavy duty work for typical woodworking equipment. I'm not certain what the best way to go about this would be, but my first concern would be safety. Assuming you can find a proper cutting tool,, I think at a minimum you would need to have the piece of steel you are drilling held securely to a drill press table. My first thought is a step drill. If there is such a thing as a hole saw for this kind of work, I think it would be very slow. (don't know. Haven't tried it). I think, before I tried doing this myself, I would look into the cost of having a metal working shop do it, particularly if you need to be assured of accuracy.

What is the possibility of doing this out of aluminum rather than steel. Then it is easily doable with hole saw or step drill. Some alloys of aluminum are pretty hard and rigid.
Get a knock out punch set. A decent set is fairly inexpensive, and a piece of cake to use. Clean hole, maybe sand a little if you want.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
(10-27-2018, 09:49 PM)Gregory of Sherwood Forest Wrote: Get a knock out punch set. A decent set is fairly inexpensive, and a piece of cake to use. Clean hole, maybe sand a little if you want.

Would that work in 1/8" mild steel?
I'd try a 1"  bi-metal hole saw, drill press on very low speed, material clamped like crazy, some cutting oil.
(10-27-2018, 08:27 PM)Jason28 Wrote: I need to drill about 24 holes, 15/16" diameter, in 1/8" mild steel for an upcoming project. The largest bit I currently own is 1/2". I'd rather not try to make the step up from 1/2" to 15/16", but I also don't want to buy several large diameter bits I'm not likely to use again. I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation on decent hole saw for steel. I don't expect a regular hole saw would hold up too well, but what do I know? Suggestions?

First you need a decent drill press with 1HP or more. Bore a 1/4" hole on the perimeter of each hole. Then switch to a hole saw, Lenox ,Milwaukee are two brands that will cut thru mild steel. Clamp down to a scrap piece of mdf or plywood.  Brush cutting oil on the teeth, inside and out. Bore holes on slow speed. You should be able to bore 24 holes without having to sharpen.
The perimeter 1/4" hole clears the cuttings, same principle as boring wood. 
mike
most hole saws cut oversize, if that matters to you
(10-27-2018, 08:27 PM)Jason28 Wrote: I need to drill about 24 holes, 15/16" diameter, in 1/8" mild steel for an upcoming project. The largest bit I currently own is 1/2". I'd rather not try to make the step up from 1/2" to 15/16", but I also don't want to buy several large diameter bits I'm not likely to use again. I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation on decent hole saw for steel. I don't expect a regular hole saw would hold up too well, but what do I know? Suggestions?

Jason- Don't mess around with holes saws for this. Get the bit for 10 bucks;  https://drillsandcutters.com/15-16-1-2-r...-qualtech/, drill a 1/4" pilot hole, reduce your speed to 300-400 rpm, clamp your work down and use the 15/16 bit.
Depending on the runout on your drill/press, expect a 31/32"- 1" hole.

24 holes is going to eat a typical hole saw. You're going through 3" of steel.

If you have a sturdy drill press, no pilot hole needed or oil.
I prefer a step drill bit. When I looked online, most step from 7/8" to 1". I did find this one, https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABN-3-8-Inch-Dr...rk:42:pf:0 . Not sure of the quality. Maybe you could get a high quality step drill, drill up to 7/8" then use the one that was suggested from Drills and Cutters to finish the holes to 15/16". Depending on the accuracy and quality of the finished product, this may be worth the effort.

I have bought several items from Drills and Cutters and highly recommend them. They are another great supplier of quality products.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Actually, just found this one, https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-16-1-Step-Dri...wSHZWggyQ. I have also bought several sizes from this company, high quality products.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry