Chips coming off fast, sting my left hand
I'm sure I am doing something wrong.

I'm new to turning.  Cut up a log to make a bowl.  As I start roughing, the chips coming off the roughing gouge fire straight in to the fatty part of my left hand, and it's too painful to turn.  I had to put a glove on, which I know aint a real good idea.

What am I doing wrong?  Are the chips supposed to hit right on your hand like that?  I'm pretty dang tough, but no way it's supposed to be like that?

Appreciate any help.  I tried googling to no avail.
(10-28-2018, 10:26 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: I'm sure I am doing something wrong.

I'm new to turning.  Cut up a log to make a bowl.  As I start roughing, the chips coming off the roughing gouge fire straight in to the fatty part of my left hand, and it's too painful to turn.  I had to put a glove on, which I know aint a real good idea.

What am I doing wrong?  Are the chips supposed to hit right on your hand like that?  I'm pretty dang tough, but no way it's supposed to be like that?

As a general rule, you shouldn't use a roughing gouge for turning a bowl.  A bad catch, and you can snap the gouge at the tang.  A spindle gouge, or better yet a bowl gouge, is safer and will work better.

If you are still having problems, you can try adjusting your angle of attack to control the path of the chips.  If you are religious about keeping your gloved hand away from the spinning work piece, you can turn with a glove.  I don't but Lyle Jamieson does, so there's that.  Finally, adjusting the speed might alter the trajectory.
(10-28-2018, 10:26 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: I'm sure I am doing something wrong.

Agree with badwhiskey. Best to rough a bowl with a bowl gouge or spindle gouge. Here's one example...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIvROyV2n6w
[attachment=14025 Wrote:Strokes77 pid='7682056' dateline='1540740417']I'm sure I am doing something wrong.

I assume you are outside, cutting downhill.  If so, the shavings can be directed more outward if you rotate the handle of the gouge more toward the center of the blank.  Don't hog too fast, give 'em time to fall.  If it's flat like a plate, it's tougher to do than with a deeper form, but it works. 

Can't upload an MP4, but the stills may help. 

Upperright shows the gouge shaving downhill.

If you raise the handle a bit they will not run down the flute.

You think wet chips are bad, try turning frozen wood.  The old EMT won't use gloves, but keeps a dish of warm water available.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I wear a leather glove on my left hand when it gets hot. My hand doesn’t go past the tool rest and I keep in mind I have a glove on. Just have to be a little careful.
Don
I have a pair of LV finger less vibration dampening gloves that I use,especially for getting hit with hot chips.They work great,just use care with them.The fact that they are are vibration dampening is great on old arthritic hands.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(10-28-2018, 03:52 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: I have a pair of LV finger less vibration dampening gloves that I use,especially for getting hit with hot chips.They work great,just use care with them.The fact that they are are vibration dampening is great on old arthritic hands.

Mel
It happens when I'm roughing out the outside of the bowl.
This part is covered in bark.. so is it the Bark that is hurting when it hits my hand?  not just regular chips?
Just thought of this maybe?
Purists say never to use a glove. Not being a purist, I have used a glove on my left hand for over 30 years with no problems. Accidents can happen, with or without gloves.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
(10-28-2018, 04:30 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: It happens when I'm roughing out the outside of the bowl.
This part is covered in bark.. so is it the Bark that is hurting when it hits my hand?  not just regular chips?
Just thought of this maybe?

Remove the bark before turning, if it's not part of the final design.  It's likely to fracture off in chips even if you're cutting the intervening wood properly, making soft shavings.  As above, keep the nose moving out and down grain to minimize, by pushing the stuff away from you.

You'll have some real fun if you can't get the bark off birch.  It'll whip your knuckles in big strings.  DAMHIKT
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(10-29-2018, 05:19 AM)Grey Mountain Wrote: Purists say never to use a glove.  Not being a purist, I have used a glove on my left hand for over 30 years with no problems.  Accidents can happen, with or without gloves.

GM

I have almost always used gloves just due to that fact.  I do not use them for sanding tho and blow out the gloves with air to get the shavings out.  Hand is not in them of course.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.