Chips coming off fast, sting my left hand
I presume you are referring to the outside of the bowl (making it round stage) and I always use a leather glove on my left hand, as others here do as well. There is nothing from the glove, for the work to catch it and of course, it is always on my side of the tool rest. So, I don't see a problem with safety.

I quickly realized to use a leather glove, because sharp pieces of wood, can and do come flying off when roughing down a blank and before I started using a glove, would chew up my hand, as you mentioned. More frequently, the problem was my skin being irritated by the wood causing me to itch my hand to the point of scratching my hand sore.
I use fairly tight leather gloves. White ones, about ten a pair at walmart.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(10-28-2018, 10:26 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: I'm sure I am doing something wrong.

I'm new to turning.  Cut up a log to make a bowl.  As I start roughing, the chips coming off the roughing gouge fire straight in to the fatty part of my left hand, and it's too painful to turn.  I had to put a glove on, which I know aint a real good idea.

What am I doing wrong?  Are the chips supposed to hit right on your hand like that?  I'm pretty dang tough, but no way it's supposed to be like that?

Appreciate any help.  I tried googling to no avail.

I almost always use a glove on my left hand when starting on a rough blank. I don't see any safety issue when your hand stays behind the rest. Once I have it down to round I no longer need one
Ok thank you all. Makes sense.