More questions about dovetails
Thank you for the answer, Scoony! Will glue alone be enough for doing the boxes or should I use some kind of dowel or rod to reinforce the joints?

Also, titan, I think I've seen what you're talking about. I'd have to get a different saw (one without the rib along the back of the blade) if I do that, but either way, would those guides help me develop muscle memory with my cuts?
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
(11-03-2018, 04:47 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: Thank you for the answer, Scoony! Will glue alone be enough for doing the boxes or should I use some kind of dowel or rod to reinforce the joints?

I would probably use something like 18 ga. brads
(11-03-2018, 08:01 PM)Scoony Wrote: I would probably use something like 18 ga. brads

TBH, I'm one of those snobs who isn't a big fan of brads on anything besides where there's pretty much no other good way to attach something, like with certain moldings or nailing on a back panel (haha)...could I substitute something more formal like a thin brass rod? Would that work as well? I'll probably be gluing the drawer boxes up in the next couple days.
Near future projects:

What about brass brads then? Small brads will not be noticeable, the front ones will not be easy to see if the drawer face overlaps the box. the rear brads will not be seen unless someone takes the drawer completely out. I pretty much dovetail all my drawers, either hand cut or with a jig, otherwise I would have no qualms about using brads on drawer boxes. If necessary, the holes are easily filled to be unnoticeable.
(11-05-2018, 01:39 PM)Scoony Wrote: What about brass brads then?  Small brads will not be noticeable, the front ones will not be easy to see if the drawer face overlaps the box. the rear brads will not be seen unless someone takes the drawer completely out.   I pretty much dovetail all my drawers, either hand cut or with a jig, otherwise I would have no qualms about using brads on drawer boxes. If necessary, the holes are easily filled to be unnoticeable.

Hmm, that could work. I don't have an air nailer, but I'm sure I could find ones that can be driven in by hand.
Near future projects:

I cannot attest to whether or not the guides help to develop muscle memory or not because I still use them. Personally, I cannot afford the time to do enough projects to develop my skills to not use the guide. I use a Japanese saw and the Barron guide and I made a large carcass with great dovetails all the way around in the first try. I see it as no different than using a 90-degree scrap to help position a chisel for chopping out the waste and leaving a vertical surface between the tails. If it helps, I am all for it.
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.