Grizzly 1023 3HP saw wiring
I'll be upgrading my table saw in the near future, and I'm leaning towards the 1023. Whether I get the 3HP or the 5HP I haven't yet decided.

I know many people will say that they have never had a 3 HP saw bog down and I don't plan to cut massive walnut beams, so I'm not worried about power. However, given the relative difference in price it doesn't seem like you risk much going to the 5HP motor.

The main concern is with power. With the 3HP, the oddball NEMA 6-15 plug more or less means that that circuit isn't really useful for other tools. With the 6-30 on the 5HP, you could (should) install a larger breaker and potentially use that for other 240V tools that I don't yet have. I have the space in my panel, but I would still hate to waste a double breaker slot on a single tool (even if it is a major tool).
Mine is 3hp. It's been on a double 30 forever.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Um...can't you just change the plug on either to match what you want to use (assuming specs and requirements match up)?
Semper fi,
Brad

(10-30-2018, 09:49 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Um...can't you just change the plug on either to match what you want to use (assuming specs and requirements match up)?

Well, electrically, you certainly can, though I've read a few things that say this voids the warranty (which doesn't really make sense). I do not have any of that level of tool where the user is expected to complete or configure the wiring, but I can put whatever cap on I want.

From what I know of the NEC, a 6-15 receptacle, if dedicated, should be on a 15A breaker. A 15A double pole is not useful for much, and if I wire another receptacle I think I can go to 20A.

The 6-30 would let me wire all 240V tools on the same circuit, which is useful if they aren't being used at the same time. I don't have a production shop so I don't care if the drum sander (which I don't have) is on the same circuit as the table saw. The obvious except is the dust collector, so I will add a second circuit breaker when I wire for the table saw (whatever I decide). My dust collector is presently a 1HP wall mount so that's on the upgrade list also.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you, but as all my equipment is really old, warranties aren't a concern. They're all wired (plugged?) with the same 20A, 220V set up.
Semper fi,
Brad

(10-30-2018, 10:18 AM)FS7 Wrote: Well, electrically, you certainly can, though I've read a few things that say this voids the warranty (which doesn't really make sense). I do not have any of that level of tool where the user is expected to complete or configure the wiring, but I can put whatever cap on I want.

From what I know of the NEC, a 6-15 receptacle, if dedicated, should be on a 15A breaker. A 15A double pole is not useful for much, and if I wire another receptacle I think I can go to 20A.

The 6-30 would let me wire all 240V tools on the same circuit, which is useful if they aren't being used at the same time. I don't have a production shop so I don't care if the drum sander (which I don't have) is on the same circuit as the table saw. The obvious except is the dust collector, so I will add a second circuit breaker when I wire for the table saw (whatever I decide). My dust collector is presently a 1HP wall mount so that's on the upgrade list also.

A NEMA 6-15 plug will plug in to a 6-20 receptacle. This is a perfectly acceptable and code compliant arrangement.
(10-30-2018, 11:58 AM)jlanciani Wrote: A NEMA 6-15 plug will plug in to a 6-20 receptacle. This is a perfectly acceptable and code compliant arrangement.

Yup.  This.  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"