Mission or Arts & Crafts Lamp Base Plans
Looking for sources of some decent Mission and/or Arts & Crafts lamp base plans. I recently got into making stained glass panels and lamp shades - looking to make the complete item by building a variety of lamp bases, but seems there are few available. I have plenty if ideas (pictures, etc), just looking for basic techniques for building the bases and dimensional scaling to make sure they don't tip, etc.  Thanks!
" The democracy will cease to exist when it becomes possible to take from those who work and give to those who would not." -Thomas Jefferson
Most all of the major woodworking magazines have produced plans at one point or another. You might try looking in their back issues...

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
(11-04-2018, 12:17 PM)Big Dave Wrote: Most all of the major woodworking magazines have produced plans at one point or another. You might try looking in their back issues...

Dave

Of course that was the first search I did....nothing came up except a simple (kinda cheezy looking) lamp in a 2003 issue of Wood I think. I guess I'll just have to design my own - was just looking for some head-start type construction ideas to cut out a few unnecessary trial and errors on some prototypes.
" The democracy will cease to exist when it becomes possible to take from those who work and give to those who would not." -Thomas Jefferson
(11-13-2018, 11:29 AM)knight82 Wrote: Of course that was the first search I did....nothing came up except a simple (kinda cheezy looking) lamp in a 2003 issue of Wood I think. I guess I'll just have to design my own - was just looking for some head-start type construction ideas to cut out a few unnecessary trial and errors on some prototypes.

If you want help with that, I could probably help. Send me a PM with images of what you're trying to emulate.
(10-30-2018, 09:40 AM)knight82 Wrote: Looking for sources of some decent Mission and/or Arts & Crafts lamp base plans. I recently got into making stained glass panels and lamp shades - looking to make the complete item by building a variety of lamp bases, but seems there are few available. I have plenty if ideas (pictures, etc), just looking for basic techniques for building the bases and dimensional scaling to make sure they don't tip, etc.  Thanks!

You might want to pick up this book: Easy to Make Arts and Crafts Lamps and Shades by John D. Adams ISBN 0-486-44355-8

Floor lamps, chandeliers, wall sconces, and table lamps all in the A&C style.

Inexpensive book, abebooks.com has them for about $8 shipped.

Mike
Semper Audere!
The way I'd tackle this is to use Google Images and search for "Mission or Arts & Crafts Lamp".

https://www.google.com/search?q=Mission+...8Q_AUIDygC

or -  https://tinyurl.com/y7skrovz

You'll get just a little short of a billion lamp styles to choose from.  Most of the designs are pretty straight forward and you should be able to create your own plan with a little head scratching.  What I see are heavy to stained glass or mica shades.  Creating a stained glass shade is another level of complexity you may not wish to deal with, but I like the amber mica shades and mica is easy to find with another search.  This guy has lots of mica options to choose from -

https://www.ashevillemica.com/category/lampshade-mica

His mica is a bit spendy and I'm not sure how you ship a 3' square of mica, but there are other vendors to choose from with a wide variety of materials that may have better prices and smaller sheets.

Phil
(11-13-2018, 12:33 PM)mbholden Wrote: You might want to pick up this book: Easy to Make Arts and Crafts Lamps and Shades by John D. Adams ISBN 0-486-44355-8

Floor lamps, chandeliers, wall sconces, and table lamps all in the A&C style.

Inexpensive book, abebooks.com has them for about $8 shipped.

Mike

Thanks for the info....I've been taking stained glass classes for a while now so that part should be ok for me. Just looking for the construction ideas for the bases now, since I've been doing woodworking for years now.