Shelf pin strength
The sunroom (3/4 season) was an add-on and is sitting over part of my 2nd floor deck.  I insulated the under-structure with 8" of fiberglass insulation.

The plan is to remove the two windows that separate the dining room from the sun room.  The two doors were alreay removed when I moved in.  

So, question #1.  Is there any reason not to remove those windows.  They measure 42" x about 6 feet with a picture window at the top and a tip out window at the bottom.

The plan is to replace the window with shelves, mostly to hold nick-nacks but possibly heavier items.  

According to Sagulator, if I make the shelves from 3/4" plywood with no edging and the depth is 12" and the width is 42" it can carry a load of about 70 pounds.  That is probably more than I would put on these shelves.

Question #2.  How much weight can the 5mm steel shelf pins carry?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(10-31-2018, 03:33 PM)Cooler Wrote: Question #2.  How much weight can the 5mm steel shelf pins carry?

These 5mm pins from Home Depot can support 25 pounds each:

[Image: 44740620715_9964a88be9_c.jpg]
(10-31-2018, 03:33 PM)Cooler Wrote: The sunroom (3/4 season) was an add-on and is sitting over part of my 2nd floor deck.  I insulated the under-structure with 8" of fiberglass insulation.

The plan is to remove the two windows that separate the dining room from the sun room.  The two doors were alreay removed when I moved in.  

So, question #1.  Is there any reason not to remove those windows.  They measure 42" x about 6 feet with a picture window at the top and a tip out window at the bottom.

The plan is to replace the window with shelves, mostly to hold nick-nacks but possibly heavier items.  

According to Sagulator, if I make the shelves from 3/4" plywood with no edging and the depth is 12" and the width is 42" it can carry a load of about 70 pounds.  That is probably more than I would put on these shelves.

Question #2.  How much weight can the 5mm steel shelf pins carry?

I'd be more worried about a 3/4 plywood shelf with no edging sagging than I would the shelf pins being a problem.  My bookcases are similarly sized and I don't know how much weight I've out on them, but a couple of them are fully loaded and however much it is isn't an issue.
I've always used the 1/4" pins, with the 90 degree bracket on the pin.
Available in chrome, white, and brown.

42" shelf. I would put a face/support board on the front of it. That would cover the ply's in the plywood, and add support. 3/4x1-1/4
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(10-31-2018, 04:59 PM)KC Wrote: I'd be more worried about a 3/4 plywood shelf with no edging sagging than I would the shelf pins being a problem.  My bookcases are similarly sized and I don't know how much weight I've out on them, but a couple of them are fully loaded and however much it is isn't an issue.

The sagulator calculations show 0.08" total sag with 70 pounds of load using ¾" thick plywood and no front or rear edging and a 40" x 12" shelf.  

I can't imagine I will put that much weight on the shelf.

I don't know how they come up with "25 pounds per peg" without knowing what material it is being inserted into.  Plywood, particle board and MDF cannot all have the same rating for the pins.

I have no doubt that the pins are strong. It is the insertion point I would worry about.
(11-01-2018, 07:37 AM)Cooler Wrote: I don't know how they come up with "25 pounds per peg" without knowing what material it is being inserted into.  Plywood, particle board and MDF cannot all have the same rating for the pins.

The shear strength of metal shelf pins is WAY bigger than 25 lbs (like around 1500 lbs for a 1/4" mild steel pin), so I'm guessing the rating is based on the worst possible shelf panel material, which is probably particle board.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(11-01-2018, 03:02 PM)AHill Wrote: The shear strength of metal shelf pins is WAY bigger than 25 lbs (like around 1500 lbs for a 1/4" mild steel pin), so I'm guessing the rating is based on the worst possible shelf panel material, which is probably particle board.
So 4 pins = 100 lbs.  I am planning on about 15 to 30 pounds.  It should be good.
You can also use commercial twin pin clips for even more holding power.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I would also be concerned about the plywood sagging.
(11-01-2018, 07:16 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I would also be concerned about the plywood sagging.

Yes. Over time it will slightly sag under it's own weight.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020