Craftsman Hand Tools
I remember Sears & Roebuck Co. as a little kid in the 50's and running across the hot asphalt parking lot barefoot to get inside where this mysterious air conditioning was magic to me. I also remember being scolded for not wearing my shoes, which I never liked to wear.
the old craftsman ratchet design was pretty bad.  I have one that is unreliable, I am not going out of my way to have it repaired.  Last time I went into Sears, they had a rack of the 3/8" just waiting to be exchanged under warranty.  I have a no-name Asian wrench that is head and shoulders better than that.  Probably should send the craftsman off to metal recycling.

There was a court fight over the ratchet design.  It was designed by an employee, and they didn't want to give him anything for it.  He ended up winning the suit.  They should have hired an engineer for the job.
(11-03-2018, 08:25 AM)EricU Wrote: the old craftsman ratchet design was pretty bad.  I have one that is unreliable, I am not going out of my way to have it repaired.  Last time I went into Sears, they had a rack of the 3/8" just waiting to be exchanged under warranty.  I have a no-name Asian wrench that is head and shoulders better than that.  Probably should send the craftsman off to metal recycling.

There was a court fight over the ratchet design.  It was designed by an employee, and they didn't want to give him anything for it.  He ended up winning the suit.  They should have hired an engineer for the job.

I had a broken Craftsman 1/2" ratchet from the 50's or 60's I got for a buck at a yard sale. Took it to Sears and got a free exchange for a new one.

I didn't think they would , but they did.
OK, so to close this out.

The new ratchet arrived today, as promised.

It does not appear to be reconditioned.

It is, however, very much made in China.

Model number is the same.  Appearance is similar, but it's obvious the mechanism is somewhat changed.

It came in the plastic "hanger-thingy" and on the back and that back has the same printed guarantee that if it "ever fails to provide complete satisfaction, it will be repaired or replaced free of charge." 

Sears/C-man honored their warranty.  And that's good.
The new Sears C-man cordless tools are different from the new SBD ones.

Ed
(11-03-2018, 07:08 PM)WxMan Wrote: OK, so to close this out.

The new ratchet arrived today, as promised.

It does not appear to be reconditioned.

It is, however, very much made in China.

Model number is the same.  Appearance is similar, but it's obvious the mechanism is somewhat changed.

It came in the plastic "hanger-thingy" and on the back and that back has the same printed guarantee that if it "ever fails to provide complete satisfaction, it will be repaired or replaced free of charge." 

Sears/C-man honored their warranty.  And that's good.

So I suppose they kept the broken ratchet. Now your set doesn't match?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-03-2018, 11:29 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: So I suppose they kept the broken ratchet. Now your set doesn't match?

Oh, yeah, they kept the broken ratchet at the store.  The new one was in the UPS/USPS system within 24 hours; shipped from Chicago.

As for the set matching, I don't care.  It already wasn't the complete 500-piece set I bought 30 years ago; a couple of other pieces have been replaced over the years.  I'm no collector; I only care that they'll do the function for which I bought them.