Sourcing walnut
I haven’t work in figured walnut in a long time, so I’m looking for some help. Anyone have a source (online is fine, or in the Twin Cities MN area) for figured/curly walnut? Good, quality stuff. I have about 5-6 certificate/diploma frames to make for a medical doctor, each about 12”x15”. He wants the “wow” factor.

Thanks in advance.
H.O.P.S.

advance apologies… I kill threads
Dunlap Wood Crafts in Chantilly, VA, near D.C., specializes in high end gunstocks and gunstock woods. They also sell lumber. (http://dunlapwoodcrafts.com/lumber) They are not cheap, but they have really nice stuff. I bought some of the prettiest curly maple from them I've ever seen. They are very nice to deal with. Give them a call and tell them what you're looking for. I'll bet they have it. I've also bought some pretty figured walnut from Hearn Hardwoods in Oxford PA. (http://hearnehardwoods.com) They are not cheap either, but are nice to deal with. When I was there last Fall, they had lots of "shorts" with some very nice figured walnut. I was looking for bigger boards, so I didn't buy any shorts, but I was impressed with what I saw.
Second for Hearne. Nice folks but not cheap (is ANYONE cheap these days?) The shorts box is a great source, unfortunately, it's first come, first served and that's a long way from the Twin Cities. Haven't dealt with Dunlap so I can't comment on them.

Another source my be Good Hope Hardwoods (http://www.goodhopehardwoods.com/) They are in Landenberg, PA - not too far from Hearne, so if a road trip is in the offing, it would be worthwhile to visit them as well.

Good luck.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
Thank you both for your recommendations. Much appreciated.
H.O.P.S.

Have you looked on Craig's list? Just did a quick search for your area and seems to be a good selection available.
The best source I'e found for hardwood lumber in the Twin Cities is Youngblood Lumber on Central Ave. Their website doesn't show that they've got figured walnut, but might be worth checking. 
Rockler sometimes has specialty type wood (at very "special" prices)
You could also try Discount Lumber in Burnsville or Siwek Lumber in NE Minneapolis
(11-03-2018, 08:36 AM)thewalnutguy Wrote: The best source I'e found for hardwood lumber in the Twin Cities is Youngblood Lumber on Central Ave. Their website doesn't show that they've got figured walnut, but might be worth checking. 

Youngblood doesnt stock figured walnut. Maybe if you sort through the common stock you can find some but its hit or miss. I was just there today....they have ~1000-1500 bf on hand from what I noticed.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Being (somewhat) new to the area, I’m glad to see these posts about Youngblood in the Cities. -I was under the impression that they were wholesale only. Checked the website again and - sure enough! - they are retail too.

Thank you to everyone for the helpful leads!
H.O.P.S.

(11-04-2018, 03:30 PM)H.O.P.S. Wrote: Being (somewhat) new to the area, I’m glad to see these posts about Youngblood in the Cities. -I was under the impression that they were wholesale only. Checked the website again and - sure enough! - they are retail too.

Thank you to everyone for the helpful leads!

They are fantastic. Just make sure you flatten out the stacks after you dig. Its a blessing they allow us to dig and pic what we want, just be sure to straighten up when done. 
Yes

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)