Quickrete on old wall
We are going to 'plaster' an old limestone wall (basement). We have done such before using mortar mix, troweling it on with a flat trowel. This wall is made of large stones, and the voids between the stones are 3 to 4 inches deep in places. I'm afraid that if we pack mortar into that deep a void, it will slump out. Wonder if a stiff mix of Quickrete Cement might work. Has anyone ever tried it? Appreciate your replies. --Peter
You need a shrink free grout
(11-01-2018, 05:27 PM)petertay15 Wrote: We are going to 'plaster' an old limestone wall (basement). We have done such before using mortar mix, troweling it on with a flat trowel.  This wall is made of large stones, and the voids between the stones are 3 to 4 inches deep in places. I'm afraid that if we pack mortar into that deep a void, it will slump out.  Wonder if a stiff mix of Quickrete Cement might work.  Has anyone ever tried it?  Appreciate your replies.   --Peter

I did an outside wall, sort of put a new surface on it, about 15 years ago, cinder block with some serious voids in it.  I used an additive that has some fiberglass in it that was recommended by the local mason supply store to be mixed into the mortar that stabilized it; you might try something like that as well.  BTW, the wall I redid is still solid and still looks good.  Check that out, it might work for you.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I'd mortar in the deeper crevices and let dry/sit for a while, then go ahead and plaster over the complete wall.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

We did as Stwood suggested. After hosing down the wall to make sure it was clean, we took handfuls of ‘mud’ and flung it at the holes and crevices. That drove the mortar into the deep places. Then after letting it firm-up for an hour or two, we smeared the whole surface.