does a mitered leg need to be reinforced?
I really would rather not have this thing split open, although it has a really long glue joint that should be hard to get apart.

I'm a little hesitant to run the pieces through my tablesaw for a spline.  And I have never had a lot of luck with biscuits.  Any other methods people have had success with?
the traditional way...

http://handcutjoints.blogspot.com/p/teno...mitre.html
WoodNET... the new safespace
(11-02-2018, 12:29 PM)EricU Wrote: I really would rather not have this thing split open, although it has a really long glue joint that should be hard to get apart.

I'm a little hesitant to run the pieces through my tablesaw for a spline.  And I have never had a lot of luck with biscuits.  Any other methods people have had success with?

Glue alone will do.  I use biscuits to help hold things in alignment as I squeeze, but if you don't like 'em, use the sand method to control squirm.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I was planning on using tape to hold it together for gluing.

Quote:the traditional way...

http://handcutjoints.blogspot.com/p/teno...mitre.html
The miter is along the length of the leg, about 30 inches long. I think the traditional way was hide glue
It seemed to me the biscuits were really useful in putting them together and keeping things lined up when I clamped them together.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
how do you set up the biscuit joiner?  Tilt the fence? Or are you talking about a frame?
Yes, tilt the fence.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
You need a BJ fence to tilt to 135˚, I don't know if all of them do that.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-02-2018, 12:40 PM)EricU Wrote: I was planning on using tape to hold it together for gluing.

The miter is along the length of the leg, about 30 inches long. I think the traditional way was hide glue

A 30" long grain glue joint should be plenty strong without additional reinforcement.
(11-02-2018, 02:38 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: A 30" long grain glue joint should be plenty strong without additional reinforcement.

+1

I have done several and only used tape and glue.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.