New LED lights cause buzzing in radio
My new shop's lights cause buzzing in the both FM radios I tried the other day.   They were older models (60's or 70's, multi-band style) plugged into the AC power.

Would newer model radios not have this problem?

Is there a filter that I can put on the light circuits to stop the buzz?
Confused
Confused

Right now I'm using a tablet and small speaker that is enough for now, but I have plans to upgrade to some big ol' speakers in near future
Winkgrin
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Are you sure it's the lights and not something else? My relatively new receiver has all kinds of problems with any type of ballasts, but is dead smooth with LEDs.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-04-2018, 09:53 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Are you sure it's the lights and not something else? My relatively new receiver has all kinds of problems with any type of ballasts, but is dead smooth with LEDs.

Buzzes when I turn them on, stops when I turn them off.  Nothing else running.

Wild Turkey
(joined 10/1999)
(11-04-2018, 11:03 AM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Buzzes when I turn them on, stops when I turn them off.  Nothing else running.

I am guessing these are self contained LED fixtures with the driver included? 

If so, sounds like you need a ferrite coil, I think that's what its called. If you google it, there are options. I have not dealt with this but here about it quite a bit.
I have a tube 1940's radio in the kitchen that does the same. I turned the plug around and it gets rid of 90% of it. Also, turn the radio itself and see if it helps. It's coming also, in my opinion, from the interference in the elect lines, not the just antenna.
Are they on dimmers?  If so do you have a proper LED dimmer switch and not just a "normal" one?  ($30 vs. $7 ...)

Does the radio plug have a 3 prong ground on it?  Wonder if that would help to run a new plug that is grounded???
(11-04-2018, 01:06 PM)jamesglenn Wrote: I am guessing these are self contained LED fixtures with the driver included? 

If so, sounds like you need a ferrite coil, I think that's what its called. If you google it, there are options. I have not dealt with this but here about it quite a bit.

Yes, a ferrite choke might help if it's line interference.  But the first thing to do is to make sure your LED's and radio are plugged into different circuits.  

John
(11-04-2018, 05:42 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Yes, a ferrite choke might help if it's line interference.  But the first thing to do is to make sure your LED's and radio are plugged into different circuits.  

John

Yep, different circuits.  Lights are on two of their own breakers, radios are on a separate wall outlet circuit.

Wild Turkey
(joined 10/1999)
Most electronic items I purchase state something like the following.

1) This device may not cause harmful interference.
2) This  device  must  accept  any  interferen
ce  received,  including  interference  
that may cause undesired operation.

I do not know if static/fuzz/hum is considered harmful, but you could try and make the claim with whomever you purchased them from, and try a different brand.  Mine work great.

You can also try a big sheet of steel, or aluminum foil between the lights and the radio.  This will tell you whether the interference is coming through the air or through the electric wires.  It is not a long term solution, because it will cut down, or even eliminate, the FM radio signal to the radio as well.

As someone else posted, fix any switch/dimmer switch issues first.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(11-04-2018, 05:07 PM)JosephP Wrote: Are they on dimmers?  If so do you have a proper LED dimmer switch and not just a "normal" one?  ($30 vs. $7 ...)

Does the radio plug have a 3 prong ground on it?  Wonder if that would help to run a new plug that is grounded???

No dimmers involved.

Radios do not have 3-prong, but do have AM antenna ground connections IIRC.  I'll give that a try.
Cool

And apparently the Chinese marking that looks like a UL mark isn't 
Rolleyes

Wild Turkey
(joined 10/1999)